Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Laptop 17
Microsoft Windows 11

I've made a recovery USB and a Windows Image Backup which I have stored on the cloud. I can see that, if I need to restore my system, I can change the boot order to boot from the USB and I'll have the option to run the recovery procedure from the USB. What I DON'T know is whether I would be able to download the Image Backup by WiFi from the cloud so as to re-install it onto my hard drive. What I mean is that the WiFi connection from my computer to the modem is operated under Windows 11. But if my system were damaged, how would I be able to run Windows 11? So what I am asking is whether the recovery procedure on the USB provides a WiFi connection. I appreciate that this question might be more appropriately asked in the Microsoft Community forums, but I have tried to do so and the only person who is replying doesn't appear to speak very good English, and I don't think he understands my problem.

Thanks to anyone here for their input. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

There are many ways to restore that system. What kind of recovery-stick do you have. Are there WiFi-drivers in that recovery medium. If not, does it provide a lan-driver? Don't worry, when you have a computer and a cloud, you also can download that image from the cloud to a separate computer and start the recovery. How fast is your internet?

The only thing you have to do now is this: Don't worry and keep cool! 😎

HP Recommended

@RobJenk 

The HP Cloud Recovery option is a tool you have to run from a working PC with an Internet connection.  The tool itself provides no kind of network connection.

Plus, you need a 32GB USB stick to do this and you have to download several GB of files -- so you really need a wired Ethernet connection or be prepared to wait for hours to do this over WiFi.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your interest.

I have 2 USB recovery sticks for my Windows 11 computer:

1. Verbatim STORE N GO 32GB (File System: FAT32)

2. VendorCo ProductCode USB (actually 128 GB but formatted as 32GB FAT 32 (until I buy a new 32GB)

Broadband download speed (theoretically): 108 Mbps

How do I find out if there is a Wi-Fi driver on my memory sticks?

How do I find out if there is a LAN-driver?

Regards,

R

HP Recommended

Sorry, but you didn't answer my question.

@RobJenk wrote:

I've made a recovery USB and a Windows Image Backup which I have stored on the cloud. 

Did you run the Backup with a 3rd party tool like Acronis or did you use the old build in WIN7 backup solution. 

To run a recovery with the WIN7 tool you have to start your system by a setup-medium, go to advanced options and

2021-11-12_081602.jpg

run the "System Image Recovery"  I don't know if you will be able to connect to a cloud. So download your image from the cloud first. For that you need probably a separate computer.

If your Recovery USB looks different, look if you find the WiFi/Lan settings when you browse for the backup image file. 

HP Recommended

You have put your finger on my problem. I used to use an Acronis recovery stick with an Image file on an external HD. So there was no need to worry about anything stored on the cloud. But I was sold on the idea of using a WD My Cloud Home Duo. The salesman assured me that I would be able to connect it by cable to my computer. So, in the event of a crash or hijack, I could recover a reasonably up-to-date copy of my system. But it now turns out that the salesman was wrong. The Home Duo is not designed for USB or ethernet cable connection. So now I need to know whether the Windows 11 recovery stick I've made has a Wi-fi driver. How can I do this?

HP Recommended

So you have a Home Cloud and it was delivered with a LAN-Cable.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/135#WD_community

There should be also  a USB-Port on the backside of the Cloud Storage. Did you check the manual and how did you setup that storage? 

You didn't tell what tool you used to create the image backup.

WD_2021-11-12_142947.jpg

HP Recommended

"There should be also  a USB-Port on the backside of the Cloud Storage. Did you check the manual and how did you setup that storage?"

It is quite clear that the USB ports are not designed to link with a computer system. For a while I believed that the ethernet cable would link, but I've now seen at least two online comments leading me to believe it is not possible.

"You didn't tell what tool you used to create the image backup."

I used the Win7 backup facility in Windows 11.

Can you tell me how to find out if the recovery stick I made with Windows 11 has a WiFi driver?

HP Recommended

Is it connected to a DHCP Router? You must have configured the "Cloud" assigning IP-Address, File access, SMB1 etc. If you install the "Mobile App" you should find it on your Mobile Phone.
Then check my post from ‎11-12-2021 12:40 AM and go to "System Image Recovery" and find out if you can map to the device. (file location network) 

Never in my life I would use WIN7 tools to backup/recover a system. 

HP Recommended

Your latest message has put me on a path which I think is going to solve my problem, if you can tell me how to do the following:

In F11 one of the options is to use a Bitlocker Recovery Key. The option available was to select a System Image in aka.ms/myrecoverykey. (This means that a WiFi connection IS available after a system crash.) The only problem is that the NAME of my computer has been changed but the name of the system available was the one my computer had earlier. In other words, it is NOT an image of my computer as it is now. So how can I update the image held by Microsoft?

Many thanks for your interest and your very helpful information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.