Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 1240sg
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have an hp 1240sg, bought in 2011. I accidently broke my recovery media. At the same time I cannot read the product key for my Windows 7 Home Premium beneith my laptop as it has been worn out. Please help me with either downloading the recovery media or how to find the product key of th original windows 7 installed. At th moment I have no windows on my laptop. I have the product serial number and original paperwork.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@arehman1289 

Please try Cloud Recovery tool

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello Thank you for th reply. It states

'Currently, the tool supports consumer PCs manufactured in 2016 and later. '

Using my product key I checked and it isnt available. Please suggest an alternative solution. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

To find the product key and activate your windows follow the below steps :

Press Windows key + X
Click Windows PowerShell (admin) or command prompt (admin) [Whichever is applicable]
Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter
The product key will be revealed.

I hope this helps!

HP Recommended

@arehman1289 

Sorry but continuing to run Win7 now that MS has dropped support for it makes it nearly impossible to recover from.

Your PC is too old to have the Cloud option.

Without running Windows on it (as you clearly state), it's not going to be possible to press a key to get the product key displayed.

And, neither HP nor the other providers stock HP Recovery Media for Win7 anymore.

But, there are folks here that might know of sources for Win7 media, and if one of them replies, you might be able to salvage your PC.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello
Unfortunately there is no longer too much possibility if the pc is not functional, and the label is no longer readable
You can always try to find a site that still provides hp reinstall CDs, but at your own risk, we cannot guarantee the result if it is not a recognized hp site as
Otherwise, find a serious sales site, which provides windows keys, you will just have to find an installation CD if no download!
(sometimes you can get a simple activation key at a very low price, but you need an installation disc not supplied)

although microsoft stops the support of w7 we can still use it just like it was the case with XP
but you have to be careful because no more security patches

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

I do not have the windows installed in the laptop. I want to recover the product key of the original licensed windows that came with the laptop ?

HP Recommended

Is there a possibility to get the product key with windows 10 ? I've heard in case I install windows 10, it automatically detects the relevant product key from Bios? Please is that true. 

HP Recommended

no it works with w8 and w10 not w7

reread my previous answer

for the possibility of returning to w7

nb normally it is not possible to install w10 without going through w7 activated, but do the test

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello

Thank you for the reply. 

The model number is HP-Pavillion G6-1240sg.

The product number is A1Z28EA.

Please help. If you have any recovery media I can download please share.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.