Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Windows 8.1 operating system was unstable.  A backup of files using F11 Recover Manager was made on an external 1TB USB drive with no errors. 

Windows 8.1 was installed from the recovery drive.  It was upgraded to windows 10. 

In assessing the Backup Drive, there was no "restore" command in the backup folder.  I made another backup using the F11 Recovery manager and copied the "restore" and .dll files generated by that to the origninal backup from which they were missing.

I ran the restore command and received a message to insert the second disk (did that twice).  Upon the last exit, I can see that the files are there but they are not correlated to a file name.  I know they are good because I took an average 3MB file and renamed it with a ".jpg" suffix and it was indeed a picture.

So I know the data is there - my question is how are the file names associated with the files and file types?

The backup was made with Win8.1 and the restore with Win10.  Is that an issue and if so, how is it resolved?

One last question - Is there a "man" page on the Restore command that might have an option I'm missing?

I did find a HP Recovery Manager update which I downloaded and installed.  Did not help.

I have read every "link" related to a query on this problem and don't see an obvious answer.

Any help is appreciated.  This is for a senior citizen and she will be devastated if these cannot be recovered.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Since there are no responses to help people that have used Recovery Manager to do backups and hopefully restores, I'm adding what I had to do so that some people may have some hope when that software inevitably fails.

I used i7Zip to extract the files from the backup.  That produced 32K files with obscure names and no file types.

Then I use TRid to find out what they were and rename them with the appropriate file type.

I made folders for each file type and at least I had some idea where to look for files that had been backed up but failed to restore.  Hope this help someone......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.