Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ba027nd (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During a recovery installation of my Windows instance, there was power failure. After this my notebook was stuck in a boot loop. I tried many thing things to get out of this.

Finally I managed to boot from a Windows intallation thumbdrive, installed from the Microsoft website.

During the pre-install phase I saw there were many partitions on my SSD. I decided to delete them all EXCEPT the OEM recovery partition. Then I created one new partion from the un-allocated space and chose that one for the installation of the non-HP Windows 10 instance.

I can now happily start Windows, but I'm unable to use the HP-recovery partition in the Windows recovery procedure. 

How would I go about to make Windows see this partiton as a source for recovery and also make my F11 key work again during boot (since I also can't use that to enter recovery mode anymore).

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I found this on the software support page for that PC

HP Recovery Manager Update

sp81254.exe

See if that will restore the Recovery Manager function.

That PC is also eligible for the HP Cloud Recovery tool which provides the complete software download to restore the PC to factory.  See this for the use of the HP Cloud Recovery tool

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

That should install every software that came when the PC was factory fresh.  Keep in mind that Windows 10 will be from that time also.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer. I was so wrapped up with seaching the rest of the internet for a solution, that I never thought of checking the support page for my device.

I'm having trouble getting the HP Recovery Manager Update installed and/or running. Something seems to happen and I don't get any errors, but notings seems to be actually installed and there's still no option to recover from the partition available in the Windows recovery options.

I will alternatively try the Cloud Recovery Tool, but I'll have to plan this for another day.

HP Recommended

There is a way to get the Recovery partition to work, but it is advised to not do it unless you wish to make the Recovery disk set, which would be the same disc set as the HP Cloud Recovery tool will give you.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have used the HP Cloud Recovery tool. Unfortunately it did not finish succesfully and also during the installation process it deleted my original recovery partition. 

I have officially given up and installed a fresh instance of Windows 10 from the Microsoft website and used the HP support page for my device to get the right drivers.

HP Recommended

Interesting that the Recovery tool would delete the Recovery Partition, unless it did not get to the to restoring the Recovery Partition step before it failed.

Good to hear that a fresh Windows install was successful.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.