Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7

Hello there, 

Over the past few weeks my laptop has been intolerably slow. A couple of times I tried to reset and update and left it to do its thing. When I came back the hp logo screen was on but the whole screen was flickering in black, white and grey. I couldn’t get the laptop to do anything else so I turned it off and on with the button and kept using it without the update for a while, albeit very slowly. 

This time, when I have tried to update it again, it has gone into a disk repair mode. Sometimes the message is repairing disk errors, this might take over an hour to complete, other times it says 
Fixing (C:) Stage 1: 2% (X of X); Total: 0%; ETA: Y

I’m not very tech savvy but tried playing around with it yesterday, leaving it to run its course, running tests and looking online for solutions. 

At 15:55 yesterday the status message was:

Fixing (C:) Stage 1: 2% (13694 of 620800); Total: 0%; ETA: 9:02:30

i left it til 20:38 so about 4 and 3 quarter hours when the status was:

Fixing (C:) Stage 1: 2% ( 13772 of 620800); Total: 0%; ETA: 459:54:46

on advice from online I turned computer off and on and I ran a quick test from f2, results were as follows:

Battery Check: Primary - OK (0)

Primary: Logic State - OK (0), Charge State - Not Available

Processor Check: Passed

Wireless Module Check: Passed 

Hard Drive SMART Check: Passed

Hard Drive Short DST Check: Passed

Memory Quick Check: Passed (Tested 3.76 GB)

System Board Check: Passed

System Quick Test: Passed

I started the computer again just before going to bed at midnight last night to see if it would help by leaving it to run its course over night. 
I checked the laptop today at 12:12 ( just over 12 hours) and status was as follows:

Fixing (C:) Stage 2: 1% (13746 of 792524); Total: 26%; ETA: 30:33:21

It is now 16:33, a further 4hrs, 20 mins (16.5 hrs full on this run) Status is now as follows:

Fixing (C:) Stage 2: 1% (13820 of 792524); Total: 26%; ETA: 42:26:10

Though it seems better today it is still far from ideal. Today it has seemed to me that every ten minutes the file count goes up 1 and another ten minutes is added to the overall ETA

I believe I bought the laptop in 2016. I don’t remember the model name but looking online it appears to be the HP 250 g7. I do not have the specific product name, product number, or serial number as there is no sticker on outside of laptop and I do not have the box I bought it in or any other paperwork. I have been loathed to turn off the computer so that I can find out the product information in case it really does just need to run its course as I’m already 16 hours in this time. 
With regards a hard reset I have been avoiding it as advice on how to back up my wrk beforehand left me cross eyed with a headache as technology really doesn’t come naturally to me, despite being born in 93. I do have some work on the laptop that I would desperately like to keep but it is not a matter of life and death if push comes to shove. 

Can I ask what you would advise that I do in this situation? Should I turn off so that I can locate serial number and product info? Should I turn off so that I can run extensive test? Do I have to do this thing where I find another healthy computer and download some boot system onto a usb To get mine up and running? Do I need to back mine up and reset to factory? (Would hate to do this as well as when this happened to me years ago it wiped my antivirus software that I had payed for which I never managed to get back). Or do I really just need to leave it until it has fully done its thing? 

Sincerest thanks for your help in advance. 

just went to edit message to note that the original  onscreen message did not change between ‘repairing disk errors, may take over an hour’ and ‘Fixing (C:) Stage 1 etc.’ It only changed to the other message if I turned it off and on again. However, when writing out the edit, the status all of a sudden jumped.

it is now as follows:

Fixing (C:) Stage 2: 54% (433682 of 792524); Total: 44% ETA: 20:52:04

Should I keep waiting it out even if it takes a couple of days? My thanks again 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@New_user_93 

Basically -- no -- it is pointless to wait it out.  The drive is encountering serious hardware errors which is why it is crawling along at a snail's pace regarding the file system repairs.

Do NOT, repeat NOT, attempt a reset -- that will NOT work.

You need to replace the drive.

Once you have the replacement drive, read the information below about HP Could Recovery to be used to restore your PC to working condition:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC. The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC. Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

--------------------------------

If the HP Cloud Recovery is not available or does not work, you may have to look into ordering HP Recovery Media -- which is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update"

If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the + symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Support:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sincerest thanks for the informative response. I will do as you have advised. Fingers crossed I can get it up and running again. My thanks once again. 

HP Recommended

So, being honest, I had already reset hours before seeing your message. The file repair system came back as failed and I pressed reset this PC while keeping files, again before going to bed last night. The reset and reinstall of windows probably took about 15 hours and after waking up and reading your response I was worried I had caused irrevocable damage to the laptop, but now it has finished and appears to be running perfectly. Everything is quick and smooth. I have been testing it for a couple of hours and it's as quick as when it was purchased. I've backed up my files and taken down my product info details in case it happens again but am nervous of sallying forth and causing more damage. In your opinion, if it is running smoothly now is that evidence enough that things are ok or do you think I should still be replacing my drive given what has already happened?

My thanks once again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.