Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a 2016 HP Pavilion Notebook running Windows 10 that I want to reformat (due to performance issues that numerous other methods have been unable to resolve) using System Reset (HP Recovery Manager).

1) The laptop came new with Windows 10 already installed on it. After reformatting, will Windows be automatically installed again, or will I need to obtain some sort of license or serial number to install it? (I don't recall any Windows CD or product key being included with the laptop).

2) After reformatting, will all software that originally came with the laptop, including trial software, be automatically installed again, just like when the laptop was new? I'm specifically looking for the Microsoft Office trial that came with the laptop.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before or seem overly obvious - the last time I had to reformat a computer was back when everything came on CD's and had to be manually installed (which actually made it easier to know what to expect). I just want to make sure I'm taking the correct steps so I don't end up without Windows or any essential software that's currently installed.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@califfany 

For (original) Windows 10. Please use Cloud Recovery tool:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06162205

You do not need license key because Windows 10 will activate itself using product key which is embedded in BIOS of your machine. I you wish to know what it is, please use the following tool

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you for your reply. I just looked up my Product ID and it looks like it's not supported by HP Cloud Recovery Tool. Can I use the built-in HP Recovery Manager System Reset to reformat for the same result?

Also, do you know if all software that originally came with the laptop, including trial software, be automatically installed again, just like when the laptop was new?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You can use almost any Product ID listed in the Cloud Recovery Tool as long as you know how to make the right changes in the source folder.

>> "Can I use the built-in HP Recovery Manager System Reset to reformat for the same result?"

Yes, you can. But, don't do that! You get an old version of Windows and when you start the Update the trouble begins!

I recommend you this:

Make a backup of your drivers. Create a folder on an external drive. (ex. G:\Pavilion_Driver_Backup)
Then run the command in PowerShell (Administrator)

Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination "G:\Pavilion_Driver_Backup"

Within 2 minutes you have all drivers in that folder that can be used for a new installation.

In the next days MS will provide a new Media Creation Tool 21H2

Download this and create a new Boot Medium, make a clean Install (without internet)and run the command in PowerShell

pnputil /add-driver "G:\Pavilion_Driver_Backup\*.inf" /subdirs /install /reboot

If you want to use a faster SSD it's the time to change it now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.