Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 17-g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to help someone get their notebook back on track after the hard drive failed. I got an identicle replacement and installed it. I ran the test during post and it passed. So I ordered the product specific recovery media from the HP support page to get Windows 10 and all the drivers back on the new drive.

The pc boots from the flash drive and I fallow the prompts to do a full factory restore. It seems like all is going well until the end when it reboots and shows a popup window "Recovery Manager" "The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons:"   (Save log, Details or Retry)

"Save log" obviously just saves the activity log.

"Retry" just reboots and comes to the same popup again.

"Details" says "There might be unexpected reboot during (Windows Setup). The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal now..."

I've tried several times and it does the same thing. I tried making my own bootable flash drive with the Windows Recovery Media Tool from the Microsoft site, but when I boot the pc from that, it says "windows ran into a problem and needs to restart" and continues to loop that untill i unplug the flash drive. I've goodled this and tried dozens of things that have worked for others in a similar situtation, but I'm getting no where.

Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Greetings @Jessmo

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are unable to install Windows back on your computer after replacing the HDD, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you made any changes in BIOS?

Did you run a system test on your computer after the recovery failed?

Recommend you boot the computer to BIOS by tapping F10 repeatedly on startup.

Restore BIOS to defaults.

Make sure Secure boot is enabled and legacy boot is disabled. 

Save and Exit BIOS. 

Try to reinstall the OS again and check. 

Run a system test on your computer again just to be sure. 

Refer to this guided troubleshooter for assistance. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Yes that's right. Thanks for the reply.
I will try thoes steps right now and follow up after a bit.
HP Recommended
I verified what you suggested in the BIOS. Inserted the recovery USB stick and booted from it. It's made the recovery preperations and started installing the software. At the end I got the same message that the recovery had failed.
It let me F11 into the recovery manager so I opened command prompt.
I tried sfc /scannow
It's says "Windows resource protection could not preform the requested operation."
Now what?
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, found this Microsoft Forums post which has a lot of suggestions. 

Please go through it and check if it worked. 

Try a different HDD if possible. 

Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Well I tried all of that and I was able to run a chkdsk and everything was normal. I ran tests on the HDD and they also showed everything was healthy.

I then used diskpart to clean, partitian and format the drive. When that was all done I booted from the HP recovery media flash drive.

It again made all the recovery preperations and started installing software for a few hours untill it rebooted itself back the the "Recovery has failed" window." So I'm back at square one.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Try enabling the legacy boot in BIOS and try again, if the issue persists, please take the computer to any authorized service center and have it checked. 

Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
It has been suggested to me that the recovery USB stick that I received may be the issue. Do you think that may be defective?
HP Recommended

Hi

Sidestep the HP recovery stick (Made your own I see) and try this.....

ADJUST SECURE/LEGACY BOOT & BOOT ORDER AS NEEDED.

So the important things are...

BIOS to recognise correct HDD parameters.

BIOS Boot Order/Sequence

BIOS Secure Boot

Partitioning using the GPT type.

All of which you will have tried.

So now onto the alternative circuit...

Would the New HDD go into another machine, like yours?

If it would then the partition table could be examined

HDD Layout.png

The recovery stick from HP would probably have tried to make 4 partitions, EFIboot, C:, 😧 and a hidden one.

Clear and create a single clean clean GPT area.  Refit and try again.

Also take Microsoft out of the equation, make a USB with KNOPPIX (or Linux Mint)and install that.

http://knoppix.net/ (https://linuxmint.com/download.php)

It is just an OS same as 'just better than' Windows, but will treat the machine differently and may get a result.

Then wipe it and know the HDD and the rest of the machine is working correctly.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended
I can get to command prompt after the recovery fails from the USB stick, so I can that that. But even if I format the drive GPT, when I try again, will the recovery not just clean and reformat the way it wants anyway?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.