Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I must agree with @wthwthwth and @alfa-romeo . It has nothing to do with "FCC regulations", its just about business.

I have an EliteBook 720 G2 and an EliteBook 840 G3. I obtained 2 LTE modems for my G2 (HP LT4112). It works in G2, it does not in G3 (is not whitelisted, I am supposed to buy HP LT4120 for my G3 for more than 120$ - ridiculous).

@

HP Recommended

This thread is getting a lot of hits on Google, so I thought I would add to the info and hopefully clear up any confusion.

Edited to say WLAN, not hardware:

As I was told by HP, they had done away with Bios WLAN White Lists a couple years ago, so consumer and business model laptops from 2015 models to present should not have it.  Some 2014 business models also did not have it, but I don't have a list stating which ones did.

The Maintenance Manuals will still show what wifi cards were tested to work with your model.

On a side note:  Experts and other helpers (including myself) on this forum are only volunteers and are not paid in any way to be here. Exception being a select few employees who are here on their own time. Our opinions expressed are our own and not necessarily those of HP.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Ya, got here from Google.

The whitelisting is there, in 2016 ELiteBook line devices.

Regarding the side note: still, if you are signed as company employee, you should be "professional" (whatever it means).

HP Recommended

@SzarySzary   Could you post a link to the EliteBook 840 G3 to thats shows that info, so I can present it to the reps I deal with? It would help me greatly.

Thanks ahead.

And yes, I agree. :generic:

HP Recommended
Sure. Here you go https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-EliteBook-840-G3-Notebook-PC/7815294/model/7815297?sku=L3C65...
I bought it some time ago with no LTE modem that I wanted to add recently. Hope it helps 🙂
HP Recommended

Just an update. The Intel 3160 duelband wireless card works with no problems in the "better half's" Pavilion 11x360pc, but that card was a nogo in my DV6-6140US, as the computer just froze in the bios boot stage "didn't like that intel card".

HP Recommended

@SzarySzaryYa I caught on with the maintenance manual list after I responded. I am checking on that and appreciate the info.

HP Recommended

@SzarySzary

Got a response on the WWAN white list issue you brought up.

I went back and edited my previous post to read WLAN, not hardware.

So the updated info is...

If HP provides the WWAN or WLAN adapter as an option to purchase in addition to the base model, then we must lock the BIOS to comply with FCC and other controlling regulations on installing and “white listing” modules.

But since as of 2015, HP does not offer WLAN as an option. Therefore the White List was removed for wifi cards.

Mobile modules like your LTE card are a different story because they are offered as optional, so HP has to comply with the FCC regulation still.

So bottom line as of 2015...

WiFi cards, no white list.

Mobile cards and other "optional" hardware, white list.

Thanks for bringing that up.

HP Recommended

I agree with the theory, however, HP (In their infinite arrogance) will not stock or sell an updated wifi card if the bios is whitelisted. That would be like HP admitting that their customers may have some common sense and technical ability. God forbid that HP would ever admit to their arrogance. Like I said in my post, this is the one and only HP product I will ever own. I custom ordered mine through HP. The only thing going for this is it's a 17.3" dv9700CTO with dual drive bays and a is fairly fast for a older laptop.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue but with the original wifi mini pcie board. 

I removed ot and tryed to test other wifi boards I had to see if they worked.

Windows 10 would see it but couldn't work with it...

I had to reinstall win10 and it solved the issue...

Gope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.