Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq 6910p
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi I have done some testing and I got a Replace Hard Disk1 dos it mean need a new hard drive  and if I need a new one what kind of hard drive can I use 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A classic. One of the best laptops HP ever made but now getting a little long in the tooth. 

You definitely need a new hard drive. Here is the Service manual:

6910p Manual

It does support SATA hard drives and could theoretically run a solid state drive. See page 44 for replacement "how-to". You have to remove the hard drive from the caddy by removing the four screws at the corners of the drive, and then replace it with the new one.

The biggest drive offered from the factory was 160 gigs which is laughably small by today's standards. Now hard to find anything smaller than 320 gigs. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Internal-ST9500420AS-Bare/dp/B001R4BBLU/ref=sr_1_3?i...

Above is a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive that would be bigger and faster than what you have. Post back if you need any more help with software migration/reinstall or anything else. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

A classic. One of the best laptops HP ever made but now getting a little long in the tooth. 

You definitely need a new hard drive. Here is the Service manual:

6910p Manual

It does support SATA hard drives and could theoretically run a solid state drive. See page 44 for replacement "how-to". You have to remove the hard drive from the caddy by removing the four screws at the corners of the drive, and then replace it with the new one.

The biggest drive offered from the factory was 160 gigs which is laughably small by today's standards. Now hard to find anything smaller than 320 gigs. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Internal-ST9500420AS-Bare/dp/B001R4BBLU/ref=sr_1_3?i...

Above is a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive that would be bigger and faster than what you have. Post back if you need any more help with software migration/reinstall or anything else. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

@killit93 wrote:

Hi I have done some testing and I got a Replace Hard Disk1 dos it mean need a new hard drive  and if I need a new one what kind of hard drive can I use 

Thank you

Besides a replacement disk, I have discovered on eBay low cost EIDE adapters for compact flash. They allow 2 CF cards to be connected so you get C: and 😧 and the optical disk comes up as E:

I have refurbished a few dinosaurs that way. CF are 10-50x faster than the old hard disks. Faster ones are available if you want to spend more pesos.

128GB CF are enough for Windows and Office etc

HP Recommended

@VeganFanatic nice observation but the hard drive is not EIDE it is SATA, and yes CF adapters are the way to go in refurbishing older laptops that use PATA or EIDE hard drives, but this one is not quite that old. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

@VeganFanatic nice observation but the hard drive is not EIDE it is SATA, and yes CF adapters are the way to go in refurbishing older laptops that use PATA or EIDE hard drives, but this one is not quite that old. 

SATA SSD drives are widely available, I refurbish a lot of machines. 

I run Windows 98 from a compact flash card, its amusing to see how fast it runs now compared to the old days.

SATA SSD now reach 4TB but I think the OPs machine has a MBR BIOS and no UEFI suppot.

HP Recommended

EIDE laptop drives smaller than 8.4 gigs are getting hard to find in working condition so for a lot of 486 and early Pentium machines about all you can do is use an EIDE to CF adapter and the old machines do run way zippier off the CF card than an old primitive hard drive. But this machine is way, way newer than all that. It is in the class of what I call "just barely obsolete". 

HP Recommended

windwos 98 can use a larger capacity CF card, I have a 32GB one with Windows 98 on it

I use an ancient Toshiba 2800 to run it along with up to XP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.