Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre: Model 15-bl101na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had some issues when rebooting so I created an HP recovery disk and reinstalled.  Now I am stuck in a “Restoration Incomplete” loop.  CMD shows the error “The system cannot find the drive specified”.

After reading other posts it seems my best course of action is to delete my partitions first, however which ones should I delete?  I am assuming not the Recovery partition, are all the other partitions safe to delete?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have a HP recovery USB, that would be the same as the one created by the cloud recovery tool.

When you clean install W10 (my preferred method, since i don't care to have the bundled software that comes with the HP image), I delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space, click Next and install W10.

Then I install the drivers and selected software I want from the support page.

When you clean install W10, the recovery partition will not work anymore because the software to access it has been removed by the clean install.

Therefore no need to have a huge waste of drive space occupied by a non-working recovery partition.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I suggest you do is to make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool.

That will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

You will need to have access to another working windows PC and a 32 GB USB flash drive.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I already have an HP recovery USB, and a Windows 10 recovery USB, and I have just created a gparted USB just in case.    Is the HP Cloud Recovery tool better than the HP Recovery USB?  

Just out of interest does this partition setup look normal to you?  it seems very complicated to me, although I havn't installed windows for 10 years or so.

IMG_3707.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have a HP recovery USB, that would be the same as the one created by the cloud recovery tool.

When you clean install W10 (my preferred method, since i don't care to have the bundled software that comes with the HP image), I delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space, click Next and install W10.

Then I install the drivers and selected software I want from the support page.

When you clean install W10, the recovery partition will not work anymore because the software to access it has been removed by the clean install.

Therefore no need to have a huge waste of drive space occupied by a non-working recovery partition.

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you.  I will erase all the partitions, however first I will try with the HP USB as I don't mind the HP stuff. If that fails I will use the vanilla Windows recovery USB.  I'll report back afterwards.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Okay so after formatting the hard-drive completely with gParted the HP recovery USB still didn't work so I had to format again and reinstall with a standard Windows 10 Recovery USB as you suggested.  All is now working again.

Would it be worth partitioning off 200gb to keep Windows separate from my files?  I am a developer so I install a lot of development libraries and software etc. 

HP Recommended

Glad your notebook is back up and running again.

I guess you can create a partition for files you need, or you can create a separate folder on the C:\drive.

Just make sure that you back up your files, because if the hard drive fails, it will take out any partitions you create as well.

HP Recommended

Okay, a big thank you for your help.  Really appreciate it, I have tried to Reset and Reinstall about 10 times over the past few days.  I'll keep the partition in one piece for now.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.