Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M0F19AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 14t Laptop -Product # M0F19AV. it's a super low end machine.

The machine has Windows pre-installed, but I want it to boot from a USB every time. The USB will contain a FreeBSD-based network attached storage system. I don't want to manually have to intercept the boot and change the order. It boots fine to the NAS when I do that.

From everything I've read, setting the boot order is simple; you hit F10 on boot, go to Advanced, and change the priority. In my case, I have done this, but the machine boots to Windows always, regardless of how I set the boot order.

When I use F9 on boot to force the boot order, I see the following.

IMG_20200714_132027.jpg

The device I want to boot to is "USB Hard Drive - FLASH Drive AU_USB20".

When I go into the BIOS/UEFI config, I have set the boot config as follows.

IMG_20200714_132038.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

For the benefit of anyone who may find this in the future, I found that my solution was to make sure the USB I was booting from was UEFI enabled. The two boot order lists aren't one or the other. It will go to the UEFI one first. So in my case, since the USB was not UEFI, it booted to Windows since that is "higher" than anything on the legacy list.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.