Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Note: I will try to explain as much as possible, if you need more specific informations I can add it as a reply.

Hello, I was trying to setup Windows 10 64bit, but the DVD didnt work, so i decided to setup Win 7 64bit, the dvd worked, but the setup stopped at the second step and showed an error msg, code: 0x80070017.

Then new problems started to come out, like driver msgs .. like it couldnt find the dvd or the cd rom.

Now my laptop is down, i cant get it coz it stopped while doing a windows setup.. please help, if u need any pictures i can send images.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Vaxim

This error means critical system files needed during the installation are missing or corrupted.  Your best bet would be to make new Win10 install media and try again.

You will have to insert the install media, boot the PC, pressing Esc repeatedly, and when the HP Startup Menu appears, choose the boot devices menu (usually F9) and then choose the Win10 media.  This should start a new Windows installation process.

IF this fails as well, then the likely issue is your having a failing hard drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello, before to fix such thing, i have an other problem, when i turn the laptop on, the DVD of windows 10 isnt working even if its in, because it shows me a problem, which is: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

HP Recommended

@Vaxim 

There is clearly no working OS on your PC, so if you want one, you have to INSTALL one -- and you do that by booting from Win10 install media.

The PC is clearly NOT booting from the DVD, so that implies it wasn't created properly, or you have to press F9 repeatedly while rebooting and select the Cd/DVD drive to boot from it.

HP Recommended

Incase i cant use DVD, should a USB works? And how am i going to reinstall, please know that there is no files i want to keep, if there a way to restart everything from the begining i would like to know it.

Thank you very much for being helpful really i apperciate it.

HP Recommended

@Vaxim 

In general, a DVD tends to work ALL the time --because PCs with built-in DVD readers have no problems booting from the DVD.  While USB sticks sometimes have problems because the PC will not boot from them.

In BOTH cases, the process is the same:

1) Insert the boot media in your PC

2) reboot the PC

3) If the PC does not boot from the media, then reboot it, pressing F9 repeatedly to get the Boot Devices menu, and when that appears, choose the boot device (DVD or USB).

HP Recommended

Im stuck fir real, check those pictures and tell me what to do because i dont know, how to reboot, and cant find what are u telling me check:

20200216_133528.jpg

BIOS Setup (F10):

20200216_133547.jpg

BOOT DEVICE OPTIONS (F9):

20200216_133926.jpgThe Problem:

20200216_134029.jpg

HP Recommended

@Vaxim 

Pressing F9 is the right thing to do, but there are two problems with your screen.

First, I have no idea what Upgrade Bay means, so I can't help with that.

Second, your DVD or USB stick, whichever you are using, does not appear in the Boot Devices list -- and I have no idea why.

You would need to look through your BIOS options and see if there is one that enables/disables booting from portable devices.  IF that is disabled, then your DVD and USB sticks would not appear in the Boot Devices menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.