Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Fall 2017 model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, this is my first post, and it's probably a pretty common question you all get. I just had difficulty finding the answer googling around.

When I bought my Spectre in Fall 2017, this was before HP offered their mail-in rebate, so I had to really weigh out the decision to spend ~$250 on a warranty package. I don't replace my laptops often, and was replacing an MSI from 2010 that was really at the end of it's lifespan. Spending over $1000 on a laptop means I plan on it lasting me a long time, therefore I charge it to full, uplug it, and don't recharge back to full until 10% religiously. I don't take it anywhere that would cause it to experience dramatic temperature change either. What sold me on the care package was a customer review about how they send in their laptop before the warranty is up to make sure it comes back like new again after 3 years. I've read something about an HP service tech picking up my laptop or dropping it off at a repair shop, but I wonder about what goes on in there, and how the equipment is cared for. So far, I've had no major issues with my laptop aside from not being able to connect to my home wi-fi network (this was pretty bad, but has been remedied with an ethernet adapter), not being able to install driver updates from HP (getting a message about not having permissions and troubleshooting to no avail), very recently having windows defender using over 90% of my CPU and causing my computer to freeze. Also, I tend to get an error message saying "Failed to create user data folder" what opening certain applications, and the battery life isn't quite what it used to be (for obvious basic usage reasons). I still have one year left, so what do y'all think?

Is is worth sending in? Or should I just chill out? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Spectre_User9 

You are welcome.

Nothing you describe sounds debilitating, though I can see why these issues are irritating. 

I pulled these from the content of your post:

• Cannot connect to Wi-Fi
  • Cannot install HP software and drivers
  • Windows Defender requires too much resource

Unrelated to performance

Do people send in computers to HP during warranty - is this common practice

Individual answers to individual issues are sometimes possible, though the details depend on the exact model of the device (not provided). 

Cannot connect to Wi-Fi

I would guess that if you cannot update your HP software and drivers, that these are out of date and perhaps impacting the issues with connecting to Wi-Fi.  Having said that, it is also possible that the reason you cannot connect to Wi-Fi has all to do with your network and little to do with the drivers on the computer.  

What to do?  Run the Troubleshooting tools to help narrow the focus of any problems.

For example:

Cannot install HP software and drivers

Primary to the "permission" issue, log into the computer using an account that provides "administrative" privileges.  You can also use a regular user account as long as you have the password to an account that provides administrative privileges / access.

The issue, depending on how you are trying to update HP software and drivers on the computer could also be a result of the network setup you are using.  This comes back to really knowing and understanding your network infrastructure, including the router you use to connect to the Internet and the settings that grant access to various parts of the network.  While a modicum of information of this type is available here in the community, we are not generally a resource for teaching people about how to set up, run, and configure their home networks.   Without any context, the subject vast - suggestions are likely to be completely outside of what you need to know.

If the issue is one resulting from the software used to install HP software and updates, for example, HP Support Assistant, then there are things we can suggest that would be useless out of context.  In other words, there is little point in offering specific advice if you are not even using the software. 

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Windows Defender requires too much resource

Windows Defender, like the rest of your Windows file system is Microsoft software.  The best place to look for answers for questions about 'Defender is perhaps the Microsoft forum.

Both of the following provide links to Microsoft help options

The most secure Windows ever - and built to stay that way

Windows Security Support

Is it common to send in computer for checkup / repair?

This is a question for which we can only provide speculation or try to answer based on our own experience. 

Why?  Because our community is not HP Technical Support, HP does not share statics of this type with us.  In fact, HP Technical Support does not generally provide our community any resources or information that is not already available to the general public.  

My personal experience includes (over the many years as an HP customer):

• Having on occasion contacted HP by phone
  • Sending in a unit that required service
  • Having had (years ago) a checkup / tuneup performed on a system that I had sent in for repair (on Care Pack)
  • Having had an HP technician visit my home office to repair a covered device (Workstation / Care Pack)

My opinion

Because you have a nice Care Pack warranty contract, it is worth contacting HP and asking for help.  If naught else, you can find out a bit about what is covered, what might be wrong, and receive suggestions on how to move forward.

If you wish to ask for help from the community, I suggest you open a new thread (this one is answered).

• Start a new thread
  • Provide exact computer model / product number and Windows version (for example, Windows 10 v1903)
  • Provide information on what software (program) you are using, the type of issue. and what you have tried to solve the problem on your own.  For example, did you run troubleshooting, which one, and what are the results?
  • Ask for help.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Spectre_User9 

If you are having issues with the notebook that you believe are covered items, or even if you are not sure whether any of the problems are warrantied, then do, by all means, contact HP Technical Support and ask your questions.  Tech Support contact information is included later in this message...

Our community is not authorized to speak for HP Warranty - not repairs and not what is covered, either.

➡️  You can perhaps see some of what is in your contract by checking your warranty status.

Warranty Check

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit(at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: Do not be distressed if the information you seek is not (yet) available online.  Whether or not the online database shows your information does not impact the actual contract.

➡️  If you have general questions about your Care Pack contract, consider contacting the HP Care Pack support group.

Care Pack - Optional Coverage Plans

Enter your product number in the form to view available Warranty plans for your device

➡️  HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option – Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed response. 

I now realize that calling HP technical support would be the best way to get about my situation.

The links you have provided will surely help me to better understand my warranty.

I was wondering if the sending in of laptops before warranty was common practice whether or not there was a debilitating issue with the laptop.

Is this not an appropriate place to ask such questions?

Thank you,

-Spectre_User9

HP Recommended

@Spectre_User9 

You are welcome.

Nothing you describe sounds debilitating, though I can see why these issues are irritating. 

I pulled these from the content of your post:

• Cannot connect to Wi-Fi
  • Cannot install HP software and drivers
  • Windows Defender requires too much resource

Unrelated to performance

Do people send in computers to HP during warranty - is this common practice

Individual answers to individual issues are sometimes possible, though the details depend on the exact model of the device (not provided). 

Cannot connect to Wi-Fi

I would guess that if you cannot update your HP software and drivers, that these are out of date and perhaps impacting the issues with connecting to Wi-Fi.  Having said that, it is also possible that the reason you cannot connect to Wi-Fi has all to do with your network and little to do with the drivers on the computer.  

What to do?  Run the Troubleshooting tools to help narrow the focus of any problems.

For example:

Cannot install HP software and drivers

Primary to the "permission" issue, log into the computer using an account that provides "administrative" privileges.  You can also use a regular user account as long as you have the password to an account that provides administrative privileges / access.

The issue, depending on how you are trying to update HP software and drivers on the computer could also be a result of the network setup you are using.  This comes back to really knowing and understanding your network infrastructure, including the router you use to connect to the Internet and the settings that grant access to various parts of the network.  While a modicum of information of this type is available here in the community, we are not generally a resource for teaching people about how to set up, run, and configure their home networks.   Without any context, the subject vast - suggestions are likely to be completely outside of what you need to know.

If the issue is one resulting from the software used to install HP software and updates, for example, HP Support Assistant, then there are things we can suggest that would be useless out of context.  In other words, there is little point in offering specific advice if you are not even using the software. 

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

Windows Defender requires too much resource

Windows Defender, like the rest of your Windows file system is Microsoft software.  The best place to look for answers for questions about 'Defender is perhaps the Microsoft forum.

Both of the following provide links to Microsoft help options

The most secure Windows ever - and built to stay that way

Windows Security Support

Is it common to send in computer for checkup / repair?

This is a question for which we can only provide speculation or try to answer based on our own experience. 

Why?  Because our community is not HP Technical Support, HP does not share statics of this type with us.  In fact, HP Technical Support does not generally provide our community any resources or information that is not already available to the general public.  

My personal experience includes (over the many years as an HP customer):

• Having on occasion contacted HP by phone
  • Sending in a unit that required service
  • Having had (years ago) a checkup / tuneup performed on a system that I had sent in for repair (on Care Pack)
  • Having had an HP technician visit my home office to repair a covered device (Workstation / Care Pack)

My opinion

Because you have a nice Care Pack warranty contract, it is worth contacting HP and asking for help.  If naught else, you can find out a bit about what is covered, what might be wrong, and receive suggestions on how to move forward.

If you wish to ask for help from the community, I suggest you open a new thread (this one is answered).

• Start a new thread
  • Provide exact computer model / product number and Windows version (for example, Windows 10 v1903)
  • Provide information on what software (program) you are using, the type of issue. and what you have tried to solve the problem on your own.  For example, did you run troubleshooting, which one, and what are the results?
  • Ask for help.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.