Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer was working perfectly fine I was finishing a League of Legends so I closed the game. I opened Spotify and realized it was getting really, really slow. So after some raging minutes I forced the shut down holding the power off button for 10 seconds. 

After that when I turned on the laptop the leds are all on but the screen it's black and it won't start up the system. 

I did a quick test on the HP diagnostics and it appears that the hard didn't passed the test. It appears as failed. 

Any thoughts on how can I solve this without having to buy a new hard drive? 

Also it appears that the warranty expired.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Chrisdalb Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a black screen for a Hp pavilion laptop.

You have already performed the hard drive quick test and the result is failed.

Please perform the one more time hard to drive extensive test and check.

Hard Drive test 

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test.  

If the test fails, you have to replace the hard drive.

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

HP Recommended

I did the Hard Drive Extensive Test>

The results:

Hard Drive SMART Check: PASSED

Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID: RU58W2-95M9T6-XD7W3G-60X503

What is weird to me is the fact that I cannot even try to repair or reinstall the system via USB bootable windows 10, the screen goes blank.

Also,

I had the chance to get into the Windows 10 Reinstallation Menu and it show me that the data in the hard drive was fine, I mean, it was like the hard drive was still alive :c

So I have to replace the hard drive?

HP Recommended

@Chrisdalb

Thank you for the failure ID.

I have checked the failure ID. It is showing that the hard drive is a failure.

You have to replace the hard drive.

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx 

And order it via the HP Parts store: https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ 

Or alternatively, Contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support   

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.