Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 13-4101dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an issue that's been going on for quite some time now but at this point, it's unbearable to deal with. The fan isn't properly working. It attempts to start up and when it does so it makes a sort of buzzing sound but then shuts off immediately. It does this over and over about every 5-10 seconds as long as the computer is on. For a while, this would only occur when playing a game or using the computer in a way that would require more out of the fan, but now it will start to occur the second I have turned on the computer.  I think this means it is getting worse because before the fan would work relatively fine until it needed to speed up.  However, sometimes the problem will even go away for an hour or so, as if its working properly, but then it will come back later. My question is whether I need to have it serviced or if I can just buy a spare fan from the HP parts store and install it myself. The warranty on the laptop ran out back in 2016 so if I can avoid having to pay for the servicing, I would go that route. I am just not sure that even replacing the fan would fix the problem and it may be something else causing the fan to act this way. Does anyone know anything about this? I appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tjfoster192 

Sounds, from your description, like the fan bearings are shot -- so it it were mine, I would replace the fan.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04807803

The instructions are on page 33 and fortunately, there is not a lot involved.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Tjfoster192 

Sounds, from your description, like the fan bearings are shot -- so it it were mine, I would replace the fan.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04807803

The instructions are on page 33 and fortunately, there is not a lot involved.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I ordered the part and once it arrived I installed it. Havent had any problems since. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.