Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion x2 detachable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 Home will not boot. Gives error code "Stop code: Critical Process Died". Will not use a restore point. Will not use a Recover disk.  Startup Repair says it couldn't repair the PC (no safe mode).  Resetting the PC does not work.  Any help would be welcomed.  (I am using another computer to post this.)

Also, the laptop  is out of warranty.  Anyone know the cost of a support call?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

One other thing.  I ran the system dignostic programs (F2) and at least for the Quick scan no errors were found.

CL9

HP Recommended

Hi

Does/Will a boot device actually work?

HP Recommended

Hi

The HDD may be failing, so backups and recovery media should be made.

Create and boot from ...

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a licence to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

HP Recommended

I cannot get it to boot from a USB rescue disk (memory stick) at all. The memory stick flashes so I know it's being accessed.  It then prompts for the keyboard layout but then merely goes into the same screen shown below.  No options on it or its submenus have worked.Rescue.jpg

It has no internal CD/DVD so I doubt one connected by USB would work any better than the memory stick.  

HP Recommended

Perhaps its the HDD, but one of the options allows me to perform hardware diagnostics.   I did a complete check of the HDD and it found no errors.  Also one option allows me access to the command prompt which accesss drive C w/o a problem (FWIW).

Since I cannot access the system I cannot make any new recovery media beyond the Rescue disks I have.  Even if I had the installation media, I'm not sure how I would launch it unless there's a way to do so from the commmand prompt.

HP Recommended

I finally got the computer to boot from a USB stick.  To do so I had to enter the UEFI Firmware Settings (screen shown below).  

Windows Recovery Environment, part 2

This took me to a menu list where I was able to go in and edit the BIOS.  I had to turn on the  "Legacy reboot" (paraphrased; can't remember exact phraseology) option and specify in it to boot from USB.   

When it rebooted it still took me into its recovery screens, including this one.

Rescue.jpg

This time however when I chose "Use a device" it really did boot from the USB drive.  (It has failed to do so previously.)  This launched the recovery software I had on the USB stick and I was able to reinstall from a system backup.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.