Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-r017nl Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hi!

When I try to switch on my computer a black screen appear with this error:

"The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.

Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now. "

Do I have to bring it to a repair service point or can I solve this problem from home?

Thank you in advance,
Isabelle
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
These do not affect data, with computers however it is always recommended to maintain a backup of any important files
*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
There are 3 steps you can try below, if none of these resolve your issue then the computer will need serviced

1. Turn off computer, remove battery and AC adapter, hold power button for 30 seconds, reinsert battery and AC, turn on

2. Update/restore BIOS, click link for full steps

Try both, update first then restore if error still present

Update:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629
Restore: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

3. Clearing vents, this should ideally be done with a can of compressed air which can be purchased from many vendors fairly cheap, in a pinch a vacuum cleaner may work, the vents are located on the sides and bottom of the machine
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. With the first 2 steps, I will not reset all data in the computer?

HP Recommended
These do not affect data, with computers however it is always recommended to maintain a backup of any important files
HP Recommended

There is a cooling fan, and this error comes only when fan stops spinning (or working).

If you a are a laptop enginer and knows how to open and service a laptop, you can easily bring a new one and change it.

But if you don't know how to open it, or service it, just don't try, as you will damage other things, simply take it to a professional repair person who can do that.

And, it has got notthing to do with the data, as it's purpose is only to cool the system. But, still i recomend that you backup ur data so that it won't get lost by some idiot's mistake.

HP Recommended
Hi!

I've tried everything you said but with no results. The only that the fan stop spinning. Is when i use the keyboard..any suggestion?

Thanks!
HP Recommended

HP Laptops come with a technology called "HP Cool Sense" which regulates the fan's speed automaticlly, if laptop is not heated up the fan stops and starts again when it gets heated up.

But if your laptop is suddenlly/ automaticlly turns off due to overheating  whenever you are doing something, that means your fan is faulty

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.