Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-eo84
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My laptop crashed after windows update wont allow recovery- repair anything I need to get my windows serial number can this be done by suppling the device serial and model.  I installed windows 10 but now says it is not authorized. HP does give any contact info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15-e084ca Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It originally came with W8 64 bit from HP.

Here is how you can install W8.1 for free by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from the  PC's support page.

After you get W8.1 installed, click on the blue Update Now button at the link below to upgrade back to W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15-e084ca Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It originally came with W8 64 bit from HP.

Here is how you can install W8.1 for free by using the W8 product key in your notebook's BIOS...

Install W8.1 by creating the Microsoft installation media, using another Windows PC...You want the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, use this generic key.

This is the generic key for W8.1 'standard.'

334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT

If you had to enter the generic key, manually change the generic product key to the W8 'standard' key in your PC's BIOS in the PC settings menu.

After you get W8.1 installed, and you had to manually enter the generic product key, you will need to run the free utility I zipped up and attached below, that will show you show the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

I have also zipped up and attached below, the Microsoft tool which hopefully will transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so it is bootable.

Then you can install the available drivers and software from the  PC's support page.

After you get W8.1 installed, click on the blue Update Now button at the link below to upgrade back to W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the quick response and all the information you have provided.

I originally downloaded the windows 8 64 bit ISO but I couldn't get it to run from usb no matter how I set start up in the bios even with legacy support turned on. That's why I went with the bootable windows 10 usb.

So now I have to remove windows 10 or format drive?

How will the original windows 8 serial show in bios?

Sorry im not a tech guy but am somewhat savy.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have to use a program to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable, which is why I attached the Microsoft tool on my above reply.

You can't just copy and paste the ISO file to a flash drive.  It won't boot that way.

Do you have W10 on there now?

If so, run the showkey plus program I attached and get the W8 OEM product key.

See if you can activate W10 using the W8 product key.

Go to settings>Update & Security>Activation>Change product key.  Enter the W8 product key from the showkey plus report.

If that doesn't work, use that Microsoft tool to transfer the ISO file to your USB flash drive and you should be able to boot from the W8.1 installation media.

You can also use a different free utility such as Rufus if you have trouble using the Microsoft tool.  It is not always 100% reliable.

Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

HP Recommended

Tried to run the 

Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool-Installer-en-US.zip

Get need net frame work 2.0

I downloaded latest net frame work 4.72 and it says already installed on this laptop when I install it?

HP Recommended

You have to add Net Framework 3.5/2.0 in W10 as follows...

Go to the Windows control panel>Programs>Turn Windows Features on or off.

A window will open and a list will populate.  Net Framework 3.5 should be the first one on the list.

Check the box to install and after the installation is complete, restart the PC and you should be able to install the Microsoft tool.

HP Recommended

Cant thank you enough for your assistance!

Retrieved my Win 8 serial with the program you provided

Tried to activate Win 10 using the win 8 serial and it wouldn't allow.

Installed net 2

ran the win7 boot program

I now have a bootable win 8 USB

What's the best way to install win 8 on the laptop that now has win 10

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you get to the part of the installation process that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.

Click Next, and W8.1 should install.

Then you should be able to get the free upgrade to W10 by clicking on the blue Update Now button on that Microsoft link I posted earlier this morning.

Here is the driver page for your notebook if you need to install some drivers after Windows 8.1 has completed installing.

HP Pavilion 15-e084ca Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Your notebook needs this wifi driver according to the parts list...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69543.exe

Bluetooth...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69545.exe

HP Recommended

YOU ROCK!

Windows 8.1 is now installed but it didnt ask for serial number and it comes up with its own serial number

ends in AAOEM ?

I changed it to my factory serial but it still shows the AAOEM number in system info?

HP Recommended

If Windows 8.1 is activated, then you should be fine as is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.