Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion g4 notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I accidentally reset my hard drive . I have recovery media which l have got with my pc. But I can't reinstall windows using that recovery media. What should I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

First of all, the disk is NOT a CD, but a DVD -- as clearly indicated on the label -- as a CD is not big enough to hold the files needed for full recovery media.

Second, recovery using that starts with reformatting the ENTIRE drive -- and that will remove all partitions on the drive, including any you used for Linux.  There is no way around that, as that is how the recovery works.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

The recovery media SHOULD have worked, but if you drive was failing, of course, it will not.

Saying just you "can't reinstall" tells us nothing useful; instead, you need to provide details of what you did and what errors you encountered in the process.

HP Recommended
Sir I just want to know that " does resetting the hard drive has anything to do with the working of recovery CD " When I put the CD in the notebook and tried to boot through it, there was no option to boot through it in boot device options. I think my pc could not recognize it as bootable media. I'm saying so because it could boot with the Ubuntu recovery CD but not with the one for windows.
HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

I'm not aware of HP Recovery Media being only a single CD.  The media I have for my older DV6 consists of several DVDs and a driver CD.  If you booted from what was the driver CD, that might not have worked.

Doing a built-in System Reset does not use the Recovery media, but instead, uses the Recovery partition -- and if that is corrupted in any way (which can happen routinely over time), that build-in reset will not work and you then have to resort to using HP Recovery Media.

HP Recommended

I booted through this one. 

IMG_20191015_142007.JPG

HP Recommended

just one more question " can this CD be used to install windows on another computer? ". Will it work?  Is it legal? 

HP Recommended

Sir, My recovery CD has started working somehow. I have one more confusion that is,  my computer came with dual boot system i.e. windows and Ubuntu, and I am just going to install windows now. Will this cause some problem ?

As the recovery CD says it will return the hard drive to factory configuration. 

HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

First of all, the disk is NOT a CD, but a DVD -- as clearly indicated on the label -- as a CD is not big enough to hold the files needed for full recovery media.

Second, recovery using that starts with reformatting the ENTIRE drive -- and that will remove all partitions on the drive, including any you used for Linux.  There is no way around that, as that is how the recovery works.

HP Recommended

I am sure it will be formatting the entire drive. 

I want to know " will recovery be working without using Ubuntu  DVD to install it ? " . 

I have read somewhere else that windows and Ubuntu uses different file formats . That's why, Ubuntu partition is not available to use while booting in windows. 

Using the recovery DVD will return the hard drive to factory configuration . It means it will also create a partition for Ubuntu to be installed with different file format . And as I said earlier " I am not going to install it ". Will this cause any trouble?  

I am asking this question because I have passed through similar situations ( according to me). On my another HP notebook ( with dual boot i.e. windows and BOSS Linux ) l accidentally deleted BOSS Linux partition to get more space on C drive ( on which windows was installed) . This caused the failure of complete system. I was unable to boot in windows and BOSS Linux.

That's why I think, not having any of the operating system cause the failure of complete system. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.