Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavillion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I brought the laptop it was Windows 8 but I have upgraded to windows 10. If I now do a recovery usb will it take me back to windows 8 or windows 10. If it takes me back to windows 8 will I be able to upgrade again for free?

Thanks

Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Gruntfuttock02 

You can't "return it" to Win10 because it did not come with that originally.

What you CAN do is reinstall Win10 -- and you do that using Win10 install media you create by running this Microsoft tool:  Windows 10 download

Since the PC was already running Win10, it has been registered with Microsoft.  So, when you get to the window to enter the product key, choose the optin to skip that.  Once the PC gets back online, it will recontact Microsoft and reactivate Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Gruntfuttock02 

I don't know what you mean by "do a recovery usb".

If you mean CREATE one, that will not work -- because the Upgrade to Win10 is known to corrupt the HP Recovery information, and that has to be intact in order for the Recovery USB creation process to work properly.  It may appear to work, but it will be flawed.

If you mean USE one, that you had previously created PRIOR to the Win 10 Upgrade, then it will return your PC to its original OS and condition.

HP Recommended

So any idea how to make a recovery disk that will return this computer to a clean windows 10 because I believe you have to pay for the upgrade now.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Gruntfuttock02 

You can't "return it" to Win10 because it did not come with that originally.

What you CAN do is reinstall Win10 -- and you do that using Win10 install media you create by running this Microsoft tool:  Windows 10 download

Since the PC was already running Win10, it has been registered with Microsoft.  So, when you get to the window to enter the product key, choose the optin to skip that.  Once the PC gets back online, it will recontact Microsoft and reactivate Win10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.