Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Following some extremely helpful posts here, I've succeeded in installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my HP Pavilion 15-n228us.

I can't figure out how to adjust any settings on the touch pad / track pad, however. It's overly sensitive right now and interferes with typing.

I assume I'm missing a driver that will enable me to control it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Look in Control Panel, change View by: Small icons at top right. Now you should see Synaptics icon.Open it to configure Synaptics.

If you don't have Synaptics or don't have settings needed, try this Synaptics driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64969.exe

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Grushenkaman, 

Thank you for your query, it is my pleasure to assist you!

I understand that your TouchPad is over sensitive. This is normally just an adjustment you need to make. Here is a document to assist you with that. HP Notebook PCs - Using and Configuring the TouchPad

Here is a link to the HP Pavilion 15-n228us Notebook PC Drivers where the drivers are listed, You can also run The HP Support Assistant to help with updates and resolving difficulties.

Please let me know if this is not resolved.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks, Sparkles1, but I don't think your suggestions work in my case.

The configuration document you reference applies only once a driver is in place.

The driver link you provided does not include touchpad drivers.

Since I need to work in Windows 7-64,  I don't have the luxury of using the automated tools that HP provides to fill in missing drivers. Those presume Windows 8.

I tried to install a driver directly from the Synaptics site, and it appeared to install successfully, but I couldn't figure out where to configure it in Device Manager.

Someone must know how to do this. I'll try poking around a little more assiduously. While typing this, I've bumped the touchpad three times and each inadvertently moved my cursor.

I'm surprised I can't just disable the thing from the Bios, but I guess they're making Bios settings a lot more limited these days.

HP Recommended

Look in Control Panel, change View by: Small icons at top right. Now you should see Synaptics icon.Open it to configure Synaptics.

If you don't have Synaptics or don't have settings needed, try this Synaptics driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64969.exe

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks, CherylG. The driver you linked installed easily, and after a reboot I saw the Synaptics Touchpad V7.5 options icon in Control Panel.

Adjusting the options is a little funny because I have to click on the lines in the tree to see that some of the options are adjustable, but I found that playing with these made the touchpad usable while typing:

1. I clicked Pointing, Sensitivity, Gears, and nudged the slider toward Heavy touch.
  2. I click Palm Check Enhanced and nudged the Palm Check slider toward Max.
  3. Under Palm Check Enhanced I also increased the Filter Activation Time, though I'm not sure what this really does.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

None of the above worked for me can't get touch pad off by any program solutions. tried them all. Get a roll of aluminum duct tape (comes in black also) TAPE OVER THE ENTIRE TOUCHPAD NEATLY. TOTALLY DISABLED. WORKS ON ANY LAPTOP. Peel off to turn on again. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best and easiest. I have used a small laptop size optical mouse (about $4.) to replace the often mis-directed touchpad on all my laptops from day 1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.