Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15S-DU0094TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i am using a HP Laptop which was purchased 1month ago and has active warranty

Details of the laptop is given below

Model : HP 15S-DU0094TU

SN# [edit]

PRODUCT ID : 7NH61PA

Microsoft Windows Product ID : 00327-35847-94668-AAOEM

I want to add an extra internal SSD to my laptop and I had purchased a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-V7S250BW)

Now, my question is that can I transfer the Windows 10 (Which is the licensed version and came pre-installed with laptop and I had also created the recovery disk of the same) from the regular Hard Drive which was already fitted in the laptop to my newly added SSD

I want to use the SSD for Windows booting and the regular hard drive as just a storage device. Is that possible?

I hope some of experts around here could help me out and that would be grateful to get the positive response

Thank You 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KunalPansari 

The BEST way I  know to do that is the following (which I have done several times myself):

1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (more on this below) onto your PC

2) Purchase an adapter to connect the SSD to your PC (this is the hard part, if the SSD is M.2 because those are VERY hard to find)

3) Use the MR Clone Disk function to clone the OS-related partitions to the SSD

4) Replace the HDD with the SSD and reboot.

IF you did it all correctly, the SSD will boot without issue

---------- Macrium Reflect ------------------

Obtain  Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello WAWood

First of all I would like to thank you for using your precious time to help me in my issue.

Your reply would help me a lot but I have a confusion here

Actually, today morning I had called the HP Service Support regarding the same issue and they straight away told me that neither Windows can be transferred to SSD, nor fresh Windows can be installed in SSD.

But when I consulted other experts, everyone including you conveyed the positive response.

Now, what could be the reason behind HP's denial?

HP Recommended

@KunalPansari 

I can only guess ...

As to the transfer, perhaps they though you meant transferring Windows to an SSD for use in a different PC.  In that case, since the OEM Windows license is tied to your PC, that would not work.  But I can see no reason why you should not be able to transfer the Windows copy to an SSD to use in the same PC.

As to installing new Windows, HP can do nothing to prevent you from doing that.  You would have to buy your own license if you wanted a fresh copy of Windows, but then it would be Retail and you could then do what you wanted with it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.