Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17.3 Touch Screen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, so I bought a laptop from a friend that's just barley a yr old... I then purchced Laplink PC mover to transfer stuff off old laptop to the new one (because I have programs for graphic designing on old on 8gb)...Laplink analyzed and come back and said I did't have enough space on the new laptop (which says I have 16gb) So what on earth am I doing wrong, I upgraded knowing the 16gb would alow me to run smother with double the space?? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@rockingnh wrote:

... Laplink analyzed and come back and said I did't have enough space on the new laptop (which says I have 16gb) So what on earth am I doing wrong, I upgraded knowing the 16gb would alow me to run smother with double the space?? 

@rockingnh

Sorry, you are talking about RAM (memory), not HDD (storage) could be simply C: drive. You need to expand C: on your new machine larger (more capacity), equal or larger C: on old machine.or contact Laplink vendor and ask them how to move selected files, not all files. The following link shows how to contact them:

https://ppc.laplink.com/specialpages/aus-nz-branded-pcmover/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

how is it a "new" reset to factory settings Recovery drive is completley full and when you click on it there are no files showing...

HP Recommended

@rockingnh wrote:

how is it a "new" reset to factory settings Recovery drive is completley full and when you click on it there are no files showing...

What are you talking about?

Reseting a brand new laptop is not necessary.

Contact Laplink on how to use their program.

Watch some Youtube videos.

HP Recommended

@rockingnh

Even though your PC is new, nonetheless, it might already be doing, or have done, major Windows Updates and those can use up a lot of disk space.

Here are some things you can do to recover some of the disk space:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Also, the community Win10 Forums has the following suggestions:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83441-free-up-drive-space-windows-10-a.html

After you have done these, you might then have enough free space to do the Laplink transfer.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unless her new laptop is one with 32 GB eMMC hard drive, I find it very hard to believe that her entire hard drive is taken up by Windows 10 updates.

HP Recommended

@ieee488

Why are you being so argumentative? 

I never said their disk was entirely taken up by Windows Updates!  I have seen situations where 5GB or more of disk space HAS been taken up by such updates, especially since they do not clean up after themselves.

Since I have NO IDEA how much room that LapLink is needing to do the transfer, I was only providing some comments that MIGHT clean out enough room from the hard drive to allow the transfer to work!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@ieee488

Why are you being so argumentative? 

I am merely using common sense.

The problem lies with Laplink and how the OP is using it. 

In addition there are several versions of Laplink. 

Some of them are not as full-featured as others.

It is important that the OP understands fully what she has and how to use it.

We cannot do this for her.

Unless she purchased PC Mover Professional, applications aka programs do not get moved.

I find it very hard to believe that a newer laptop with 500 GB or 1 TB of hard drive space would be out of space due to Windows 10 updates. I recently had a netbook update from 1803 to 1809.  After that update, I cleaned up 16 GB of file space.

Unless one gets to the root issue, the issue remains unsolved.

HP Recommended

After 3 hours on the phone with HP and countless transfers, I was told that those are hidden files for if the laptop crashes it can be restarted...

HP Recommended

Getting any assistance with HP is a joke as well as Laplink....I am not impressed with either's customer service...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.