Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Model 14-bs153od
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased recovery media from HP for this machine due to error during a Windows Update causing fail to boot.  Recovery options all failed.

I installed and booted from the recovery USB, the recovery process starts and formats the drive then I receive an error

Recovery Manager error, Copy file fails.  from D:\Preload\Base.SWM to Z:\RM\IMAGE\Base.swm

F2 tests freeze at Starting ..... Test for all options.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if you can make a USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery client utility.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

If that gives you the same error, then the only other suggestion I can offer, would be to clean install W10 using the Media creation tool at the link below to create a bootable USB W10 installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-14-bs100-laptop-pc/16851371

HP Recommended

@AlexMcyD 
Hello,

Proceed as follows, to restore the BIOS settings to their default:

1. When starting the computer, press the F10 key directly several times.
  2. Press the F9 key (some models are F5) to restore the factory BIOS settings.
  3. Select Yes and press Enter.
  4. The computer restarts with the default BIOS settings and continues a normal boot.
  5. Try restoring the factory system again.

If the issue persists, please disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support as described in the HP document below, and then retry running the factory restore.
Secure Boot (Windows 10)

I remain at your disposal in case of need.

Cordially,🤠

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

The error unable to copy returned after following the first process (MANS) suggested.  I am currently trying to re-create the image stick using your links. It will be a little while until I know if this attempt will be successful.  I chose 32bit this time as I don't know if the Celeron processor is capable of 64bit operation.  I've been away from processors for a while.

Previously, I had created a Windows 10 USB from the cloud utility and attempted to boot from it but got a message indicating that it would not be able to boot from that media error 0121-1-0

HP Recommended

Hi:

You will need to go back and create the 64 bit installation media.

Your PC is not supported for 32 bit operating systems.

HP Recommended

Ok, Thanks.  I actually never got far enough along the process to make it matter.

The issue remains that the HP provided (based on serial number and model) recovery media can format the SSD but not copy files to it. 

Reboot with F2 system diagnosis freezes on all test selections.  Is there something I'm missing in creating a solid state boot disk in Windows 10 and a system with UEFI bios?  Legacy enabled, secure boot disabled.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is very strange.

I had to use the cloud recovery tool to create bootable recovery media for two HP 255 G7 business-class notebooks.

I used an old PC that doesn't have legacy mode or secure boot settings to create the media, and then I installed it on the 255 G7's with the default BIOS settings of legacy mode disabled, secure boot enabled, and the one recovery drive worked fine for both of the PC's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.