Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We recently recieved a new shipment of laptop models - Probook 470 G5, and went about creating our master image, got it set, and tried to boot to the media (DVD, USB) to create the image, and when booting to either device were presented with a white screen :

Selected boot image did not authenticate.  Please press enter to attempt to boot to next device.

Naturally, we figured secure boot was on, and we would disable it.  Under the Advanced menu, we went to the secure boot option and chose Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable.  As this seemed to be the only option to change, we saved our changes, and restarted.

Same issue.

Go back into the menus to find that the option we chose did not save, and is again showing Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable.  No matter how many times I select the Legacy Enable/Secure Disable, it will not take the changes.

What am I missing here?

Thank youScreenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I believe you need to first create a BIOS administrator password for the device for the changes to take effect.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

I believe you need to first create a BIOS administrator password for the device for the changes to take effect.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

David,

Hi! Thanks for the reply, unfortunately this didn't resolve the issue.  After applying a BIOS Admin PW, it's still not keeping the change, even though after I save and exit, upon reboot, I have to enter a code acknowledging that changes were made.

I'll keep plugging away!

HP Recommended

Your welcome.

You did try it twice, one to create the admin password and once to disable secureboot? In the past when I came across this problem, creating administrator  password fixed the issue (when typing in admin password  are you using keypad numbrs?)

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

I have tried several times.  I created the admin password first (using letters and the number row above), saved and exited, acknowledged that changes were made with a 4 digit pin, and booted back into the menus to find the same selection (Legacy Disabled/Secure Boot Enabled). 

I've even changed the pw, restarted, booted into windows, restarted, booted back into menus, entered admin pw, set the settings I wanted, saved + exited, and when I came back into the menus, the changes didnt take.  Unfortunately, its like this for all 5 of the laptops I've tried (all same model). 

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04784866

Under the expansion:  Use Secure Boot on business notebooks and workstations > Disabling Secure Boot on business notebooks that include Legacy Support

I am following the directions step by step, and I noticed two things different -- 

Step 5 -

Legacy Boot Order with a  boot device selected

My UEFI Boot Order is Checked but Greyed out (cannot uncheck).  My Legacy Boot Order is Checked, but Greyed out with a message that says to Enable Legacy Boot Options, save and exit, and return to BIOS to be able to make changes.  However, those stay continually greyed out, no matter what I do.

HP Recommended

David, 

With your help I've figured it out.  The issue lied in the acknowledgement pin, which I was entering on the keypad, vs the number keys above the alphabet.  Once I set my BIOS, save and exit, enter the PIN with the Number Keys instead of the Pad, it's accepted the changes and I can boot to legacy devices.  I know that you mentioned typing the admin pw in that way, but I completed spaced on doing the pin that way as well.

Thank you so much for your assistance, I'll mark your answer as the best answer!

HP Recommended

Thank you. I am glad you were able to figure it out.

I should have been more precise when I asked about the typing on keypad (more expansive in my reply or explained why I was asking) and probably saved you some time. Anyway, glad it worked out and I can stop continuing to think about what the problem could be. Please join us again if you need further help.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

I just wanted to add my experience for anyone who has wasted an hour searching on this.  I bought some HP ProDesk computers.  I figured out that you first have to disable secure boot> type in the code> then change to Legacy Boot Enabled/Secure Boot Disabled.  I booted off my boot disk and made an image.  However, I found no way (and I've got well over an hour in this) to get back to the UEFI boot order.  It is unchecked and greyed out.

So for anyone else in that boat, I finally thought of just returning the BIOS to factory defaults.  Worked great, I can boot again.

HP Recommended

i got a used hp proBook and it alredy has a admin password. is it anything that i can do to disable secure boot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.