Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

I burned two ISO files(Memtest86+ & latest DBAN 2.2.8 CD bootable ISO software ) onto two different blank CD-Rs on two different ocassions by using the in-built Windows burner in my system, also used Cyberlink ISO file burner/Mount as Virtual drive.

Tried booting from CD by following Step 1 to 4 given in this MS link . After that clicked Select a USB Device, then boot from Internal DVD/CD Drive, then OK. It took some time to process & after that I got this screen:

IMG_20140623_245021100.jpg

When I entered BIOS Setup clicking F10 and there on Boot Device options, I got this screen:

I'm not able to understand why I can't boot from any CD. Could anyone please help me out.

Thanks  very much in advance

Visruth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth,

Thanks a lot for your kind response!

My laptop shipped with FreeDOS, and in the beginning even I had this issue, but for me it turned out that the USB was not bootable. 

For me the best software to make a bootable disk is - http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Its free and open source, and its really light.

Have you tried booting via the DVD on other PCs. Because if other DVD/CD are working on your laptop, there might be an issue with the DVD that you are using.

Have a great day ahead!

Regards,

Brahmnoor

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended
i disabled secure boot in boot device options. but still I'm not able to boot from CD after restarting.
HP Recommended

Hi,

As well disabling Secure Boot, make sure that Legacy Support is Enabled.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi DavidPK

yes, i had enabled legacy support & disabled secure boot. then too I'm getting the same error.

thanks
Visruth
HP Recommended

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

As well disabling Secure Boot, make sure that Legacy Support is Enabled.

Regards,

DP-K

hi davidpk

here is a screenshot of what changes i have made:

Is there something else too to be done? I tried restaring several times but same error.

Thanks

Visruth

HP Recommended

Hi,

I won't be able to see the images you've uploaded until they have been approved by a moderator, but in the meantime, let me know what happens if you try the following.

Insert one of the bootable CDs in the optical drive and then shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as you power on to access the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Manager option ( f9 ).

If the optical drive is listed ( you should see two entries for it, one should have ( uefi ) as the suffix.

Select the drive with the arrow keys and hit enter.

Let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
@ davidpk
i tried your steps but to no avail. in boot manager there are only 3 options for me to choose: 1.os boot manager 2. boot from efi file 3. Notebook hard drive.
no option of CD/dvd could be seen.

thanks
visruth
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth,

Hope you are having a splendid day!

I am no computer expert, so take my advice with that thing in mind! But, nontheless, if you are running into this issue, try making a bootable USB and try booting from it.

If you get your laptop to boot, then I think there might be an issue with your DVD drive. But if you are still unsuccessful, then consider updating your BIOS.

Regards,

Brahmnoor

HP Recommended
@brahmnoor thanks for the response. i appreciate it. yes, i have read about it from various articles that booting from usb remains the option left, but really speaking i don't have one. I've already updated BIOS to latest.
if DVD drive is at faulty, wouldn't it be showing somewhere. i didn't get any notifications to now. nothing unusual in device manager & movies n other DVD/CD works perfectly fine. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

visruth
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth,

Thanks a lot for your kind response!

My laptop shipped with FreeDOS, and in the beginning even I had this issue, but for me it turned out that the USB was not bootable. 

For me the best software to make a bootable disk is - http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Its free and open source, and its really light.

Have you tried booting via the DVD on other PCs. Because if other DVD/CD are working on your laptop, there might be an issue with the DVD that you are using.

Have a great day ahead!

Regards,

Brahmnoor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.