Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 5G laptop

Hey folks, trying to help a family member fix their laptop as it won't boot windows anymore if I phrased that correctly (0x80070002).

If I switch it on normally after the black screen with the windows icon I get a blue screen saying the device has ran into a problem and has to restart, it then restarts before I get a 'Preparing automatic repair' screen and a 'Diagnosing your PC' screen. I then get a blue screen saying start up repair can't repair the pc.

If I go into advanced options initially I can't do a system restore as "you must enable system protection on this drive", I've looked up how to do this via the command prompt option and then I go back in to system restore and run it, it completes to 100% but after a wait it comes up saying it was unable to restore the system. If I go back into the command prompt screen and enter SFC /SCANNOW which verifies 100% then says Window resource protection could not perform the request operation. I've also tried chkdsk C: /F /R which ran a lengthy process of around 4-5 hours scanning but this also failed.

After some more suggestions if anyone is able to kindly help

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

if your family member doesn't need the files on the PC, I would use another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer on it to create a bootable USB recovery drive with the HP Cloud Recovery tool that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hey Paul

Thanks for the suggestion, will most definitely keep that in mind.

I think she will want me to make every effort I can to save whats on the computer first if I can

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you need to recover files, then you can use the Media creation tool to create W10 installation media from the link below, and clean install W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Boot from the installation media, and when you get to the part that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows, install it over the existing Windows partition, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After the installation has completed you can explore the windows.old folder, find the old user profile and copy the files you need to save onto a portable hard drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.