Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy m6 aq105dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to install windows 10, I get the error message "setup was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain required free space" I have: Drive 0 partition 1 recovery 529 mb total, 81mb free space; drive 0 partition 2 system 99mb total, 0.0 mb free; drive 0 partition 3 MSR 16 mb total, 16 mb free and drive 0 partition 4 primary 465.1 gb total, 465.0 gb free.

I have a Samsung Evo 970 solid state drive. Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@drewgar_7 
The problem you are running into is that the System Reserved partition in Windows 7 and earlier was only 100MB.  Windows 10 needs that partition to be 500MB -- and the installer can not resize it during the installation.

So basically, you will have to connect the SSD to a working PC and use partitioning tools to expand the System Reserved partition to 500MB. Since that partition is probably surrounded by others, you will have to resize and move the others to get enough unallocated space to expand that partition.

Here is an example of such a tool:  https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

But I had running windows 10 in that ssd before that's why I am surprised. Nothing about this happened last time. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.