Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6070ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm having a hard drive failure (laptop is running slow and eventually freezes) and have bought a new HD and want to replace the hard drive and my laptop did not come with a Windows 7 CD so I tried to make a recovery disc, using the USB option. Every time I've tried, the Recovery Manager stops and the USB is corrupted (I can't open the USB to see what's on it [it says to insert a compatible USB or something like that] and after it's been corrupted I can't use the regular format disc option on my laptop to format the USB, I have to use the "HPUSBDisk" application to format the USB to use again). The USB is 32GB. The Recovery Manager says I can make 1 recovery disc and still says I can make that 1 disc but since I'm unable to make it through the Recovery Manager, is there a way to make it before logging in to Windwos? Or a way to download/order one through HP or another source? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just a thought, but first make sure the USB flash drive is not for USB 3.0.  Then it would not hurt, if you get a 16 Gb flash drive to try the Recovery creation on that.  If it was me, I would try the DVD option, too, if you get another failure.

As far as the "is there a way to re-download Windows 7 after the installation of the new HD using the Windows key I have for my laptop?"  That is an option, too.  You can install a regular retail Windows 7 and use the key on the COA sticker to activate it and then use the file backup that was made from the Recovery Manager.

Here is an idea - clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive.  Since the computer is actually able to run, it might just be the old hard drive is preforming poorly but still able to be cloned to the new drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You can try to make the Recovery disk set by starting the PC with F11

• Turn off the computer.
  • Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.
  • Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.

Read this guide before attempting again however:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867124

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I did not see an option to create the Recovery disc but I was able to see the option to back up my files, which I did so thanks, that helped a lot in fact. I know in the link that you posted it said to not use a USB no greater than 32GB, the one I have is 32GB and the Recovery Manager says that it will need 14GB of free space to make the Recovery disc(s), would a 16 GB USB be better to use? Or is there a way to re-download Windows 7 after the installation of the new HD using the Windows key I have for my laptop?

HP Recommended

Just a thought, but first make sure the USB flash drive is not for USB 3.0.  Then it would not hurt, if you get a 16 Gb flash drive to try the Recovery creation on that.  If it was me, I would try the DVD option, too, if you get another failure.

As far as the "is there a way to re-download Windows 7 after the installation of the new HD using the Windows key I have for my laptop?"  That is an option, too.  You can install a regular retail Windows 7 and use the key on the COA sticker to activate it and then use the file backup that was made from the Recovery Manager.

Here is an idea - clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive.  Since the computer is actually able to run, it might just be the old hard drive is preforming poorly but still able to be cloned to the new drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

OK, I'll try the 16GB option and see how that goes. If not I will try the DVD option. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.