Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Window 10 update requires BIOS update in order to install. New version of BIOS downlodaed and installed, but signature file cannot be read. BitLocker not installed as far as I can see. Security turned off during installation.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Alan7171wrote:

Window 10 update requires BIOS update in order to install. New version of BIOS downlodaed and installed, but signature file cannot be read. BitLocker not installed as far as I can see. Security turned off during installation.

What is the HP Product Number (P/N) of your notebook and the current BIOS version/date installed?  You can use the links below to help you find this information, then we can proceed with figuring out the solution for your system.

How to find my HP Product Number

How to find my HP BIOS version & date

HP Recommended

Product number V0Z32EA#ABU

BIOS version AMI F.17  09/03/2016

HP Recommended

@Alan7171wrote:

Product number V0Z32EA#ABU

BIOS version AMI F.17  09/03/2016

Okay, let's try another BIOS update from your support page.

F.19: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76353.exe

Then if that succeeds, try F.41 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77852.exe

Then try the latest version.

HP Recommended

both updates failed--unable to open BIOS signature file

HP Recommended

Any other suggestions!? Thanks for trying so far! 

HP Recommended

@Alan7171wrote:

Any other suggestions!? Thanks for trying so far! 

I don't know if you've resolved the issue yet, but the next step would be to go into the BIOS and reset it to factory default settings, then boot back to Windows and try running the BIOS update again.

Also, you could try a hard reset...as that sometimes fixes weird issues like this.

To Perform A Hard Reset

• Shut down the computer by going to the Start menu and selecting shut down. (If you have no display, hold the power button down for  5 seconds); (if the computer doesn't power on, move to the next step)
  • Disconnect the AC Adapter from the notebook.
  • Remove the battery from the bottom of the notebook.  There will be a switch/button to eject the battery.
  • Wait at least 1 minute with all power sources disconnected.
  • Re-insert the battery and reconnect the AC Adapter and then attempt to power on the notebook.
HP Recommended

I had the very same problem and my best friend, who gave me his old Pavilion Laptop found a solution, that worked for me, so I want to share it in order to hopefully help a fellow customer get his device working again - even without a BIOS Rollback (I tried this  - which contains a BIOS-Rollback - in order to fix a black screen and it just was not possible, but this actually pretty simple solution worked for me):

For tech-savvy folks (the "tl;dwtr"-version if you will :Wink: ), the short version of this:
De-install the graphics drivers in the Device Manger without deleting the driver files on the system, then restart and wait until the system has re-installed them.
Don't ask me why this works, but I sugggest to just try it and hopefully it works for you, too,  and you'll be a happy user again - only partly (Product Page for the latest functioning drivers for each model) thanks to HP obviously this time :Glasses:

For less tech-savvy users, here is the step-by-step version:

1) After closing all Apps/Programs besides maybe the browser you need to read this :Wink: , open the Device Manager by either going to the Control Panel  and clicking it there (after having chosen big or small symbols on the upper right corner drop down menu) or by right-clicking "This PC" on the Desktop, chosing "Properties" in the opening menu and then clicking Device Manger on the upper left (with a little Shield Symbol as an indicator, that it will ask for Administrator Rights).

2) Once you have opened the Device Manager, you look for your Graphics Adapter(s) in it and click the little arrow  ( > ) in front of it to be able to see all the Graphics Adapters / Cards installed on your system currently.

3) Right-click each of them one at a time and then chose Deinstall Device - but make sure the little check-box on the bottom left of the confirmation window, that opens after clicking this is NOT checked (because you do NOT want to delete the driver files from your system, you only want to re-install them, so your system will need them after the next steps).

4) You might experience some screen-flickering and maybe even resolution changes for a few seconds - or maybe even longer on older systems -, but don't worry about it. Just let the system find its "standard drivers" for a moment when everything seems to have calmed down, close all Applications/Programs and restart your system (you know:  click the Windows-button on the lower left of your screen or keyboard and then click or choose "Restart" with your mouse or the arrow and "enter" key. )

5) If the problem was indeed the one I had your system should reboot without any problem and all you need now is a few minutes/moments of patience for letting your system find and re-install the drivers all over again by itself (if you haven't accidentally deleted them earlier and ignored my advice).

6) (optional step, but it certainly calmed my nerves after hours of frustration with not getting my system to [re-]start reliably) Only when the harddrives have ceized being busy and the overall system has figured itself out again (you can check in the Task Manager for system activity in the Advanced View of it – for opening that, either right-click the Taskbar and choose "Task Manager" there or use the "CTRL-ALT-DEL"-grip / key combination and choose the same option there), you might feel free to restart the system again, shut it down, wait a few moments and thenstart it up all over again ... and with fortune :Halo: and the truly same problem I've had with my system as the reason, you will hopefully also sleep  :Sleep: much better again after this frustrating problem has been resolved:PinkCrown:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.