Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 15-df0002na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have just got a new HP Spectre and have had a few issues upgrading from Win 10 Home to Pro.

During the process I have done a few system resets to get it to upgrade - the problem was with the digital licence not the laptop. While I did manage to get the windows 10 pro working sucessfully, on the advice of a friend I used a windows media creation usb stick to reinstall windows (though I didn't delete any partitions). Since then I have lost all the HP software and some items in the device manager are not installing correctly. 

I have done another system restore but that didnt bring anything back. I then tried downgrading back to home version which is currently installed now but still did not bring any HP software back.

All the following HP items are all missing the second picture is device manager items not installing correctly.

HP SoftwareHP SoftwareHP Software

devicemanager.jpg

I have tried the System Reset in windows and booting up pressing F11 and going through it that way. I am guessing that using the windows media creation usb stick i have overwritten all the hp software but i am unable to find a way to get it all back. McAfee LiveSafe all not installed (which I dont mind) when refreshing.

Windows 10 version 1809 64 bit

Hope someone can help to solve this for me. Is there a way to be able to factory restore it to how it arrived?

Many thanks for any help.

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This solution is for when "Reset this PC" does not work, you have no HP recovery tools and F11 recovery options don't work either.

The Following Factory System Recovery Process should work for many newer laptops from HP.

For anyone that has a similar problem then this is the solution to restoring the system to factory default when hard drive partitions change or recover data is lost - ie if you have used the windows media creation tool to wipe everything off the harddrive for a new install. This restored my laptop fully to Factory Settings and all drivers were working correctly again.

This solution was given to me by HP customer support.

To complete these steps you will need a 32GB USB stick.

1) Plug in your laptop and leave it plugged in even if fully charged.

2) Go on to the Windows Store and Download HP Cloud Recovery Tool app.

3) Run it as administratior (right click on the tile and select "More" from the pop up menu then "Run as Administrator"

4) At this point you will need your Product Number. You can option this from the HP Support Assitant software which you can download from HP Software and Drivers page.

Once you enter your product number the software will tell you whether there is a default factory system copy on the cloud for you to download. Assuming there is go to setp 4. If not, you will need to contact customer support who will send you a reset usb stick via mail but will take a few days to arrive.

5) It will then check you have inserted a suitably sized usb stick - minimum 32 GB. It actually only uses about 15GB once complete. The software will not list in the drop down box any drives less than 32GB.

6) Run the tool which will take a long time - a good couple of hours to download and then copy it all to the USB stick (which is over an hour to write even with a decent stick).

7) Once the USB stick recovery tool is complete, reboot the system pressing F11 to go to the recovery menu. 

😎 Selected to boot from USB stick. At this point you can select any folders you wish you back up though I just did a full system clear to start from scratch.

The Process takes a long time - a few hours and will boot many, many times. It will also boot in to windows as an administrator. Just leave it all alone to go through the process until finally, at long last, you see Cortana asking you to go through the set up process.

I am told that this HP Cloud Recovery Tool is a new method, but it worked flawlessly for me. And now I have a revovery stick ready should I ever need it again which is comforting.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

This solution is for when "Reset this PC" does not work, you have no HP recovery tools and F11 recovery options don't work either.

The Following Factory System Recovery Process should work for many newer laptops from HP.

For anyone that has a similar problem then this is the solution to restoring the system to factory default when hard drive partitions change or recover data is lost - ie if you have used the windows media creation tool to wipe everything off the harddrive for a new install. This restored my laptop fully to Factory Settings and all drivers were working correctly again.

3) Run it as administratior (right click on the tile and select "More" from the pop up menu then "Run as Administrator"

4) At this point you will need your Product Number. You can option this from the HP Support Assitant software which you can download from HP Software and Drivers page.

Once you enter your product number the software will tell you whether there is a default factory system copy on the cloud for you to download. Assuming there is go to setp 4. If not, you will need to contact customer support who will send you a reset usb stick via mail but will take a few days to arrive.

5) It will then check you have inserted a suitably sized usb stick - minimum 32 GB. It actually only uses about 15GB once complete. The software will not list in the drop down box any drives less than 32GB.

6) Run the tool which will take a long time - a good couple of hours to download and then copy it all to the USB stick (which is over an hour to write even with a decent stick).

7) Once the USB stick recovery tool is complete, reboot the system pressing F11 to go to the recovery menu. 

😎 Selected to boot from USB stick. At this point you can select any folders you wish you back up though I just did a full system clear to start from scratch.

The Process takes a long time - a few hours and will boot many, many times. It will also boot in to windows as an administrator. Just leave it all alone to go through the process until finally, at long last, you see Cortana asking you to go through the set up process.

I am told that this HP Cloud Recovery Tool is a new method, but it worked flawlessly for me. And now I have a revovery stick ready should I ever need it again which is comforting.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

Hi

Nice but not really comprehensive, especially when it's a new Hard Drive.

I sometimes suggest this...

W7 and W10 Repair.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.