Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

can I upgrade my HP Stream 11 to Windows 10 without any complications?

Are drivers from windows 8 will operate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Depends.

Since the device has 32/64 GB storage space you may have to provide a external storage source for the files to get copied.

Yes, drivers are compatible.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Depends.

Since the device has 32/64 GB storage space you may have to provide a external storage source for the files to get copied.

Yes, drivers are compatible.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Thank you.

Can you also tell me, how many Windows 10 upagrade need storage space? And, if I have too little, how redirect downloading files? That is possible?

HP Recommended

If the drivers are compatible, why isn't my touchpad working?

HP Recommended

...because the driver wasn't there.  I downloaded the Windows 8 driver, and now it works, mostly.  I can't open the Synaptics settings, so I'm unable to set it how I like it. 

HP Recommended

I am trying to upgrade a bran new Stream 13, and with the 32GB HDD (really 21GB after the recovery partition), it is impossible to do.  You need about 11GB free space before you start to be successful. 

HP Recommended
After factory resetting my 32gb Stream 11, it freed up enough space to install successfully. I did have a nearly empty 16gb USB drive installed (it's tiny, so I can leave it in permanently, and I forgot it was there), that may be significant. I found a solution to the touchpad issue - after updating, the Synaptics panel worked, but two-finger tap to right-click didn't - it needed the registry to be edited. Now everything works!

When I get back to my laptop, I'll find the instructions and paste a link - or you could just Google it like I did. Have a USB mouse ready, you'll need it for a few minutes at the start.
HP Recommended

I got my HP Stream 13 yesterday.

Today I tried to install Windows 10.

Well.....I downloaded it and it was about to install, it gave me the message that there wasn't enough free space for Windows 10.

I thought it might have been an error, so I tried again.....same message!!!

I haven't actually put anything on the PC except Skype, apart from which it's pretty much on factory settings.

I've just spent over 2.5 hours trying to speak to the call center, with  no luck getting through.

Any ideas, please???

HP Recommended
A friend of mine asked me to help with his stream 13. I got an out of space error, so I factory reset it, as I did with my own stream 11. Seconds after the desktop appeared, having gone through all the 8.1 setup, including logging in with his Microsoft account, a message popped saying I could upgrade to Windows 10. I clicked, downloaded, had an out of space error, tried again, same thing.

Then I clicked through the help links until I found the media creation tool, and told it to update this PC, without keeping any settings. It ran out of space, but gave me the option of using a USB drive. I connected a 32gb drive with 21gb spare, and it installed ok - even the touchpad works, which it didn't on my stream 11.

Only thing I'm having trouble with now is installing Office 365, which throws up an error with several possibilities, most likely lack of space.
HP Recommended

Rbrian thanks for  your help.

I actually spent another hour trying to get through today. Eventually, I got through to a guy that told me that a lot of HP Stream owners had the same problem.

HP apparently are bringing out a new update on the 19th of August that should fix the problem. This update is supposedly for just the HP Stream.

It'll be interesing to see if this actually happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.