Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 2000
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have used System Restore in the past and I know it took a few hours to complete with good results as it removed the problem. Last week, I used System Restore, the screen turned blue and the restoration began however this continued for over 3 days!  I was unable to use my laptop for that long. I only saw a blue screen with a swirling icon in the center. Miraculously, on day 4, it came back to life but immediately started updating apps which I had checked not to do. This took an additional day. Finally, now it's back to normal. I am now scared to use System Restore again. What did I do wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Could you provide your full computer model - information can be seen from the service tag sticker >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Topics-Read-Only/Advice-for-asking-the-quot-Very-Best-Que... ?

Could you confirm your OS - is it Windows 8/8.1 now ?

I see your previous thread in attempt to upgrade to W10 ...

I am not sure what you did wrong (if anything at all) but

System Restore is a Windows function that usually takes minutes (max 30 minutes) to complete, not hours, not days. It restores Windows registry, system files/settings to previous state and is usually fast.

Do you mean System Recovery or System Refresh/Reset ?

These are different things. These restore Windows to original state or format the HDD partitions - these may take an hour or 2-3 max but not days.

If these (especially System Restore) takes days to complete, there is indeed something wrong with the operating system.

Looking forward to your confirmations.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

Could you provide your full computer model - information can be seen from the service tag sticker >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Topics-Read-Only/Advice-for-asking-the-quot-Very-Best-Que... ?

Could you confirm your OS - is it Windows 8/8.1 now ?

I see your previous thread in attempt to upgrade to W10 ...

I am not sure what you did wrong (if anything at all) but

System Restore is a Windows function that usually takes minutes (max 30 minutes) to complete, not hours, not days. It restores Windows registry, system files/settings to previous state and is usually fast.

Do you mean System Recovery or System Refresh/Reset ?

These are different things. These restore Windows to original state or format the HDD partitions - these may take an hour or 2-3 max but not days.

If these (especially System Restore) takes days to complete, there is indeed something wrong with the operating system.

Looking forward to your confirmations.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks. I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 2000 Notebook using Windows 8, I did attempt to download to Windows 10 but it screwed-up my PC & kept freezing. I attempted to use System Recovery using a previous Restore Point and the unit screen just turned blue for 3 days while a spinning wheel kept turning for hours. The unit got extremely hot & this continued for 3 days even if I removed the battery. It finally returned to normal & seems OK.  How long on the average for a PC to last before needing replacement? Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@speedbird2

There is no fixed period when one will have to consider getting a new PC. If you feel your PC is too old and something is seriously broken, or if you feel the need to buy better, faster PC, then you can look at new computers. HP has great products, look at www.hp.com or http://store.hp.com

If you decide to continue using the current one - please, elaborate when you upgraded to Win 10 ? Do you still use it or you restored back to Win 8 ? Does it still keep freezing ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.