Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook - 17-f113dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My Pavilion Notebook - 17-f113dx is giving a hard drive error on startup. I would like to try booting with an operating system disk and format it to see if that would fix it. Where can I download the Win 10 Disk?

Thanks!!! Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TechnicalLee 

You can't actually "repair" a failing drive without sending to a special lab where they charge you a FORTUNE to disassemble it, replace the parts, and reassemble it.

IF it's intermittent, then it's failing -- and it could last 6 months, or it could fail tomorrow.  There is really no way to know.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TechnicalLee 

That's not going to work.  Best to test the hard drive before you waste your time.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply! I was able to test the hard drive with one of those, and it gives an "iminent failure. One of the choices is "Continue". When I press that, it boots up and works like a charm...until it needs to reboot. I was hoping not to have to replace the hard drive but possibly Repair it.

Thanks!!! Lee

HP Recommended

Sorry! misspelled imminent 🙄

HP Recommended

@TechnicalLee 

You can't actually "repair" a failing drive without sending to a special lab where they charge you a FORTUNE to disassemble it, replace the parts, and reassemble it.

IF it's intermittent, then it's failing -- and it could last 6 months, or it could fail tomorrow.  There is really no way to know.

HP Recommended

Hi and Thanks again! Sounds like you just saved me from wasting more of my time!

I really appreciate the quick responses and good information!!! Lee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.