Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z1 AIO Workstation Gen 3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

It has been over 7 months since Microsoft released the Windows 10 May 2004 Update and until now my Z1 AIO G3 workstation and Z Book Studio G5 did not receive the update!  It is 2021 guys and I still did not get the 2020 update!!! What is going on guys?

Windows update still show this message:  "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

This is not acceptable ..I paid premium for HP Z products and I am expecting to have the latest updates!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Aboammar 

You are welcome.

True - Last year's 2004 update is no longer the current version of "newest" Windows.

Current and past release information - how to get what you want...

Open and read:

Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows Server, version 20H2 

At this writing, 20H2 is the current "newest" Windows.

My opinion:

Checking your computer to see if it has the general capability to run the latest Windows version.

For example, open the device home page > category Software and Drivers > expand the list - peruse.. At the least, you should have a viable and recent BIOS update available.  Open the BIOS page, check the supported versions of Windows.

Manually installing the Windows version you want is usually cleaner than any "update" operation.

In the case of my five year old Zbook, I manually downloaded and installed version 20H2.  At this writing, I've not done more than update the BIOS from the HP drivers / software.  Why?  Well, the system is running clean.  In this case, not installing any HP drivers is more of an experiment than anything else - so far, so good.

Download Windows 10 

>>> Go to section:  Create Windows 10 installation media

NOTE: Your product key is included in the BIOS, if asked (during installation), indicate you don't have the key and continue - the installation will find the embedded key and continue with the install.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals / User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Aboammar 

None of this has anything to do with what you purchased in the sense that Windows is managed by Microsoft.  Whether you get updates is determined by a number of factors, some of which might be related to whether your computer can provide HP drivers / software for a particular version of Windows.  Other factors might be less obvious.

It's a bit late for the "2004" release - it has been surpassed months ago.

It is is also not "end of days" that your computer didn't try to auto-install the May 2020 update. 

Unsolicited Comment

My Zbook eventually try to load Windows 2004 - also after months of "waiting".  It was a disappointing experience.  The workstation could not update, could not stop TRYING to update, and generally stopped being useful.  I ended up having to rebuild the disk (format) and install the latest Windows (20H2).  So - auto-update could just be a rather ragged process that ends up with you installing Windows manually in spite of wanting it otherwise.

What to do?

Back up your personal data - everything you can't stand to lose - back up the data to OTHER than the local computer.

READ available information on release(s) in which you have an interest.

Decide what you want to do.

Download and Install your chosen version of Microsoft Windows from Microsoft.

References

Home page - Windows 10 release information 

Sub-categories - Example

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon for the reply.

I am not fully sure I understood your comments!  Do you mean that the 2004 version is not the latest update any more?  And do you mean that in order to get the latest stable update, I have to install it manually?

Appreciate if you can explain in more details and also provide links for the latest updates to choose from.

HP Recommended

@Aboammar 

You are welcome.

True - Last year's 2004 update is no longer the current version of "newest" Windows.

Open and read:

At this writing, 20H2 is the current "newest" Windows.

My opinion:

Checking your computer to see if it has the general capability to run the latest Windows version.

For example, open the device home page > category Software and Drivers > expand the list - peruse.. At the least, you should have a viable and recent BIOS update available.  Open the BIOS page, check the supported versions of Windows.

Manually installing the Windows version you want is usually cleaner than any "update" operation.

In the case of my five year old Zbook, I manually downloaded and installed version 20H2.  At this writing, I've not done more than update the BIOS from the HP drivers / software.  Why?  Well, the system is running clean.  In this case, not installing any HP drivers is more of an experiment than anything else - so far, so good.

Download Windows 10 

>>> Go to section:  Create Windows 10 installation media

NOTE: Your product key is included in the BIOS, if asked (during installation), indicate you don't have the key and continue - the installation will find the embedded key and continue with the install.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals / User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Aboammar 

I'm not here to steal the thunder from @Dragon-Fur but I did want to add two important considerations before you undertake a manual installation of Win10.

First, using the Win10 media you create, there are two ways to install it manually:

1) Clean install -- this requires booting from the media and it REPLACES what you have now.  The existing stuff will be combined into a Windows.old file but you might not be able to retrieve anything useful from it, as that does not always work as intended.  So, you should at least make note of all the applications you have and where to get them, and save off all your personal data.

2) Repair Install -- this requires inserting the media into your PC but NOT booting from it.  Instead, you find the folder containing the media, right-click on the setup.exe file and select Run as Administrator.  This is an in-place Update of Windows and leaves your accounts, settings, personal data, and applications intact.  This is what I usually do rather than be faced with reinstalling and reconfiguring lots of stuff.

Second, if you do decide to do the first approach, because it is cleaner, then at least read the info below about making an image backup of your PC before doing that.  At least this way, even if the clean install works, if you find it too much work to reinstall and reconfigure lots of stuff, you have something to restore FROM  so you can try the second approach.

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the details and links.  I highly appreciate it. 

My latest version of DaVinci Resolve is not running very smooth because it requires the latest version of nVidea driver which it requires the latest build of Windows 10.  For now I will go ahead and download the update assistant to update my system to the latest version of Windows.  I don't have time to do clean install now because I am working on project.  Will update now and do clean install when I am free. 

Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

@WAWood 

Go ahead - take the thunder.  This is not my area of expertise.  Smiling.

@Aboammar 

Good luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks Dragon-Fur for the detailed explanation and link .. I highly appreciated.

Downloading now ...

HP Recommended

@Aboammar 

You are welcome.

Hopefully the installation will be a good way to start 2021.

If you have actual trouble with anything "after the fact", best to open a new thread.

We'll let one of our Experts with version support experience answer.  Smiling.

Happy 2021 !

We are all ready for a new year.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

WAWood, thank you very much for your advice and the details.   I will keep that in mind when I have the time to do clean install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.