Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy2xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1. The current BIOS in my laptop is listed as Version F.07-12/01/2020.

2. The HP Assistant shows an available BIOS update listed as follows: SoftPaq Number: sp113381, Version: F.10 However, when I downloaded and tried to install this update twice via HP Assistant, both times failed.

3. Looking at the list of BIOS updates for my machine on the HP Support software and drivers page shows 2 BIOS updates:

F.08, Rev. A, SoftPaq Number sp112523, release date Feb 12, 2021 (this lists a previous version of F.07 of Dec 7, 2020)

F.10, Rev. A SoftPaq Number sp113381 release date April 20,2021 (this is the same version listed in HP Assistant which failed to install twice; note also that the previous versions listed for this BIOS revision are F.09, Rev A, release date Mar 8, 2021, SoftPaq Number sp112704)

Questions:

A. Which update(s) should I install? Each one (F.08, F.09, F.10) in sequence? Just the latest and greatest?

B. My SSD is BitLocker encrypted. Is that the reason the BIOS update keeps failing? If not, should I just download the relevant version(s) from the support page and try to install manually?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. HP Assistant is a joke!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

There's no guarantee that you can successfully install the latest available BIOS/UEFI update and have it work. In many cases, a manufacturer will release a BIOS update that requires the motherboard to already have been updated to a certain version level before it can be installed.

https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/how-to-update-bios.html

Also try to disable your antivirus before you run the BIOS update file and don't shutdown or restart until it ask for.

You shouldn't need to update your BIOS that often. Installing (or "flashing") a new BIOS is more dangerous than updating a simple Windows program, and if something goes wrong during the process, you could end up bricking your computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.