Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook G3 820 6300U i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All, trying to clone my NVME 256gb Samsung pm981 to 1TB Sabrent Rocket using Acronis 2021.  Acronis confirms that it all cloned successfully, swap the new NVME into Elitebook and it boot, any ideas?

Best

Nick    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi OldMan, I hope you're well.

Solved it, not sure which bit worked, but turned off fast and secure boot, changed to legacy boot, cloned using Acronis 2020 on a USB key and all worked fine.

Best 

Nick

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Curious on how you did the cloning.  Was the new drive on an adapter?

Which Acronis version did you use - the one that came with the Sabert drive or the retail version?  Did you clone the complete drive to the new drive?  All partitions?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi Oldman, thank you so much for replying.  I hope you're well.

The new drive was in a Ugreen NVME adapter, it was a retail version Acronis 2021 installed on the 820g3 is was trying to Clone from, well it's PM981 NMVE.  I used recommended settings on Acronis just cloned C drive PM981to E drive the 1TB Rocket in the Adapter. 

I wonder if it's anything to do with the bitlocker, although haven't problems previously.

Best

Nick

HP Recommended

Hmmmmm - bitlocker may have caused problems.  If you are using bitlocker, I would recommend disabling bitlocker before trying to clone.  While I do not have knowledge of that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@LordG 

Before you go any further, I would put the old SSD back into the PC, reboot it, and use the BitLocker Management function to both print off and export the key.  That way, if you get a clone process to work and the reboot prompts for the unlock key, you will have it in hand.

I quit using Acronis products some years ago when I needed to do a system restore and it failed me.  I switched to Macrium Reflect and have not looked back.  I don't know if MR can handle cloning an encrypted drive any better than Acronis, but MR is free and will only cost you a little time to try it.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-SSD drive adapter
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, bitlocker is off.

HP Recommended

Thanks I will check out Macrium Reflect. 

HP Recommended

Hi WAWood, I hope you're well.

Solved it, not sure which bit worked, but turned off fast and secure boot, changed to legacy boot, cloned using Acronis 2020 on a USB key and all worked fine.

Best 

Nick

HP Recommended

Hi OldMan, I hope you're well.

Best 

Nick

HP Recommended

Great!  Don't forget to mark Kudos and a solution.

Thanks

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.