Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Has anyone successful upgrade an HP Elitebook 840 G3 to win 11?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@topdogpf 

The HP Elitebook 840 G3 machines use Intel G6 processors which do not meet Windows 11 requirements. You need Intel G8 up to be able to install/upgrade Windows 11 normal way. If you wish, you can

Installing Windows 11 on devices that don't meet minimum system requirements

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@topdogpf 

I understand your issue -- as I have the same situation with an old laptop that meets almost none of the Win11 hardware requirements, and I really wanted to try out Win11 on it but the installer refused.

And while there are workarounds to this, forcing Win11 onto "incompatible" hardware is an "experiment" at best -- not a long-term solution.

Let me explain ...

MS has relented, for now, in enforcing Win11 hardware requirements -- but they already have the code to check hardware because they provide that as a downloadable utility.  It would take little effort to package that as a Security Update, push it to the PCs, and after a reboot, we get messages that our PCs are disabled and we have to reinstall Win10 from scratch to get a working PC back. MS has already done this with "insiders" who were running really old hardware on Windows 11. Their PCs were disabled by a Windows Update.

I'm OK because I have a full image backup of the laptop running Windows 10 -- which would take me 5 minutes to restore. Most folks don't even know what that means and will end up with a nonworking PC -- and no simple way to restore it.

So, enjoy it while you can -- but do not expect it to last long.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.