Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good evening all from the UK... my problem is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (a pre-installed factory applied software to my HP Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop) has started notifying me that I need to re-install, however the Microsoft label attached to the underside (with the autentication strip & COA SE reference) does not show a unique 25 digit xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx Microsoft product activation code !!!

Discussions with Microsoft telephone activation service told me I needed to contact the product provider to get the unique W7 Home Premium product activation code, they also directed me to their Help pages to show me photo examples of where to look for manufacturer MS labelling with the code... my label however doesn't include the 25 digit product code, however I bought my product legit from Amazon UK ? I  am somewhat surprised that my label does have the 25 digit code visible...!!! HELP Please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

WAWood - Thank you very much for your proposed Showkey fix...

I was able to get a case file reference of Microsoft UK Customer Support (which I was very surprised to get considering my Miscrosoft W7 Home product was 10 years old & due to end being Supported in January 2020) - as I could not read the Microsft Windows Label activation product key code, due to the ink of the numbers having completely faded away..!!

A Mircosoft Windows Techician ran a number of diagnostics & remote fixes (one of which was your suggested 'Showkey'... unfortunately none of the remote fixes worked. 

However, much to the credit of Microsoft & their customer support teams dedication & understanding, I was provided with a new W7  product activation key, which when remotely applied, automatically resolved my problems. 

WAWood I appreciate your time & efforts nonetheless...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Crimson-Helm 

If you download and run this utility, it will retrieve and display the product code:  Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood - Thank you very much for your proposed Showkey fix...

I was able to get a case file reference of Microsoft UK Customer Support (which I was very surprised to get considering my Miscrosoft W7 Home product was 10 years old & due to end being Supported in January 2020) - as I could not read the Microsft Windows Label activation product key code, due to the ink of the numbers having completely faded away..!!

A Mircosoft Windows Techician ran a number of diagnostics & remote fixes (one of which was your suggested 'Showkey'... unfortunately none of the remote fixes worked. 

However, much to the credit of Microsoft & their customer support teams dedication & understanding, I was provided with a new W7  product activation key, which when remotely applied, automatically resolved my problems. 

WAWood I appreciate your time & efforts nonetheless...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.