Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Stream 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone any thoughts on the next W10 update which reportedly will want to grab an extra 7GB of hard drive for updates and temporary files?

I have up to now managed to keep pace with all current updates and am now on Windows 10 Home 1809. For my use, web searches and general admin jobs I have managed to keep between 13 and 12 GB of free space. This extra 7GB will be a big hit.

Is this the end of the road for this 32GB notebook and all other similar sized. I am thinking it could be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lion66 

I have an update for you ...

I got a reply in the Windows insider forum to my question, and it is as follows:

1) The 7GB (or so) of Reserved Space is not an actual partition, but is Virtual space reserved inside the existing C: Volume

2) This reservation only applies to new PCs delivered with Win10 1903 preinstalled, or to Clean-Installs of Win10 v1903

3) Computers being Upgraded to v1903 will not have this reservation process applied.

So, even if you were to download Win10 v1903 media and run it from your PC (NOT boot from it!), then you still would NOT have to worry about several GB of your limited space being reserved for this new function.

Hope that answers your question.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lion66 

While I understand your concern, you're asking a question no one can answer at this time.

I've been a member of the Windows Insider program since nearly the first day, so when I read in their forums about the new 7GB partition that Windows was going to create (supposedly to aid in future Updates), I wiped my SSD, created a USB stick containing (what what then) the latest Win10 Insider build, and did a clean-install to the SSD.

I was surprised to see NO 7GB partition created -- as everything I read had indicated that it SHOULD have been created.

So, I have posted on that forum asking for an explanation --which is likely to be: If your drive already has some partitions on it (as mine did, with a Data partition), then Windows Update will not create the 7GB partition.

So, the best advice I can provide at this time is to keep monitoring this situation -- as we will only know for sure AFTER the 1903 release gets widely deployed.

HP Recommended

@lion66 

I have an update for you ...

I got a reply in the Windows insider forum to my question, and it is as follows:

1) The 7GB (or so) of Reserved Space is not an actual partition, but is Virtual space reserved inside the existing C: Volume

2) This reservation only applies to new PCs delivered with Win10 1903 preinstalled, or to Clean-Installs of Win10 v1903

3) Computers being Upgraded to v1903 will not have this reservation process applied.

So, even if you were to download Win10 v1903 media and run it from your PC (NOT boot from it!), then you still would NOT have to worry about several GB of your limited space being reserved for this new function.

Hope that answers your question.

HP Recommended

Many thanks. I will do the update with more confidence.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.