Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 16 Touchscreen Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I recently purchased  HP 15.6" Laptop & Office Bundle - Grey (AMD A9-9420/1TB HDD/8GB RAM) from bestbuy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-15-6-laptop-office-bundle-grey-amd-a9-9420-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-en...).  After startup and logging in, my screen turns completely blank.  All I could see is my cursor, which I"m able to move around. After about 5min to even 15 min, my screen goes to normal and I"m able to use it. I tried to remove my battery and drain the power source, but that didn't fix it.  

How can I prevent this from happening every time? Should I just exchange the laptop?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
See similar threads about this issue:

SOmething another member posted that may help.
In the run box type msconfig.
Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness. (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap disable button)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Having the exact same problem on a HP Pav desktop.  Fresh out the box today all well for a bit until I installed the two recommended updates to HP JumpStart and HP Orbit.  Reboted and there was the issue.  Removing both has made no difference.

HP Recommended
See similar threads about this issue:

SOmething another member posted that may help.
In the run box type msconfig.
Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness. (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap disable button)
HP Recommended

thanks. this worked! what is the purpose of the 'app readiness'?

HP Recommended

Same thing on my Spectre x360 today.

If you hit ctrl-alt-delelte, you can choose the task manager

open that and wait about 5-10 min, the screen finally comes up.

Interestingly, the "Disk" percent on the task manager jumps to 90% usage when the screen comes back.

And listed at the top is a Windows Update.

I've uninstalled the windows update from today, didn't help.

I'm doing a system restore next.

HP Recommended

This solution worked for my HP Envy.  I realized the problem about 4 days ago when I was prompted to UPDATE.  After the update, my screen was black for almost 15 minutes.  Ever since, everytime I tried to hard start my laptop, I would be able to access the Log-In screen fine, but once it recognized my face, the load to Windows would take 5-10mins of black screen before loading. 

The resolving issue I used was:

>Go To Task Manager>Services>App Readiness>Right Click and select 'Open Services'>App Readiness> Right Click and select 'Properties'> Start-up Type: DISABLED

Then select STOP from running and Reboot.

This should help anyone else who recently experienced the 'black screen' dilemma with the Windows 10 update.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with old month  Envy x360, HP releases a fix, work for me

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe

HP Recommended

Hi, I wondered if you could help.  I have had the same problem and carried out the solution with the "App Readiness and disabling but do you have to do this everything the machine is switched on?  I have done it once and then shut the laptop down and turned it back on and the screen was blank again.  It works when I do the App Readiness but I just wondered if this is something that is going to have to be done each time.  Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi all,

first time posting here... not sure how it works.

These last 5 days I have been stuggling to regain access into my profile after a windows update. I have an HP PAVILLION NOTEBOOK (Windows 10 Home 64-bit). Every time I tried to log in i only got to a black screen and mouse pointer and nothing else. I m anaged though to access profile restaring my laptop in Safe Mode. I read through this tread but in my case disabiling App Readiness did not work as i still got back to a black screen several times.

I kept on searching and came accross a fix from microsoft who suggested to try to wake up windows by pressing simultaneusly CLRt+SHIFT+Windows button+B ... neither this helped much. 

What instead seems to have made the trick was to reinstall the Graphics card driver. I looked online for a new version of the driver and reinstalled. 

Up till now all seems to be working fine. To be honest since this morning i still haven't rebooted my laptop... scared to do so as do want to  find out that gaining control of my profile after logging in was just a one time occasion 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Anyways 🙂 am posting here link from microsoft hoping this might be of help for anyone having same problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Good luck to all.

HP Recommended

Is it solved?

I mean the black screen problem?

Because mine has just started. Today i turn on my laptop Pavilion 14 and log in after that i saw a cursor that can be moved then i wait for about 1 hour but the screen still black but i saw the HDD light indictor running as usual.

i am sad. because i cannot do work for today. all my files located inside the 1st user. i got 2 user account, but the second one i have never use it before.

and i send help to HP and waiting now.

i do not know what to do first, i am scared my data all be gone if i take a first wrong step.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.