Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to completely reset my Pavilion g7-2022us notebook.

I purchased my laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit) and it came with the product key to activate it. And when free upgrade to Windows 10 was available using Media Creation Tool I went ahead and did it. It is working perfectly fine but I still hear Windows 7 start up sound making me wonder what the issue is.

Anyways, my Windows 7 was activated with the product key that came with my laptop and after upgrading it to Windows 10 I see in Activation settings page that Windows is activated using digital license and its linked with my Microsoft account. If I reinstall windows using USB, which activation method should I use? Would I be able to try both the activation options?

Also, assuming that my laptop Pavilion g7-2022us only supports up to Windows 8.1 officially as drivers are only available for it and not Windows 10. Which OS version should I use Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? Can I use Windows 8.1 drivers in Windows 10 if they are supported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to purchase W8.1.   

There was no free upgrade from W7 to W8/8.1, and the W7 product key your notebook has will not work to activate a W8/W8.1 installation.

Reinstall W10 using the media creation tool and if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10 which is why there are no drivers for it.

You could try the W8.1 drivers for any devices that need them, but W10 should most of them if not all of them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to purchase W8.1.   

There was no free upgrade from W7 to W8/8.1, and the W7 product key your notebook has will not work to activate a W8/W8.1 installation.

Reinstall W10 using the media creation tool and if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Your PC is not supported by HP for W10 which is why there are no drivers for it.

You could try the W8.1 drivers for any devices that need them, but W10 should most of them if not all of them.

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping.

Windows 10 free upgrade was made available for licensed Win 7/8/8.1 users, if I am not wrong, which I did using Media Creation Tool, if I reinstall Win 10 and use the product key or sign in my Microsoft account. Would I be able to use the activated features of Windows?

My laptop's Windows 10 is not supported by HP but I guess I can keep running it until I face any issues. And try installing Windows 8.1 driver for a better functioning. Also, can you suggest any laptop which has similar specs which support Windows 10 and I can use their drivers?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.  The Windows 10 free upgrade was made available for licensed Win 7/8/8.1 users.

Your notebook has a W7 license, which means you were eligible for the free upgrade to W10.

If you were to install W8.1, it would not activate on your PC which means you would have to buy a W8.1 license key.

I have given you the instructions to reinstall W10.  You select the "I don't have a product key' option.

No need to use your Microsoft account, or the W7 product key on your notebook's case.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you with choosing another notebook.

I only buy HP business class notebooks, and I don't know of a contemporary 17" screen model that is similar to yours.

A 15.6" display model would be this one...

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/laptops/product-details/24381316

HP Recommended

That was very helpful of yours.

But regarding reinstalling Windows, Microsoft blogs state otherwise, in the below link to perform clean install using installation media they say it might have to be activated again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

And if I were to activate the Windows in any case should I use the key or Microsoft account?

Another blog on activation, just for reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activate

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have reinstalled W10 many times on PC's that I upgraded, and never had to activate the installation.

So, if in the unlikely event you run into activation issues, I would first try activating the installation with your Microsoft account as directed by the first link you posted.

You’ll need to link your Microsoft account to your digital license before you reinstall Windows

I have never done the above step before. 

I have always just selected the 'I don't have a product key' option if prompted to enter a product key during the installation process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.