Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I thought I had the solution, but after one day, Method two only works about 50% of the time. I still need to hold down the on/off button for the laptop to fully shutdown. It seems the longer I work on the laptop the less likely it will fully shut down. Don’t know which apps are causing the problem.

HP Recommended

Found a work-around for HP Pavilion Notebook not shutting down after Windows 10 upgrade issue. Tested ability to fully shutdown Notebook over period of a week and it works every time. This is not a permanent fix but will allow you to shut down without having to hold the power button down for 5 seconds on Windows 10. Here is the work around.

When you are ready to shut down on Windows 10 go to START button and select POWER. Normally you would choose SHUT DOWN, instead choose RESTART. This will go through restart process and bring you to login screen on Windows 10. Don't login, instead on the POWER icon (lower right-hand side of screen) choose SHUT DOWN. This will shut down your Notebook every time.

Disadvantage of this work around is that it takes extra time in going through a restart cycle. 

HP Recommended
OK there us a separate thread going on which dicusses this further. So far no permanent solution had been found
When you restart your laptop, it powes off exactly how you are doing it by holding the button.next time you restart your laptop, notice how it turns off almost in a snap, like the fan lost the power
HP Recommended

**I have posted this in another area with the same issue**

YES!!!!! A Solution that worked.  Spread the news.  It has to do with the Intel Virtualization Tehnology. Didn't know what that was until this issue came up in Windows 10.

First, find out if this is your issue.  

1. I installed the 'Intel Processor Identification Utility' directly from Intel.

2. After installation, open the program and go to the 'CPU Technologies' tab.

3. If it says 'YES' for Intel Virtualization Tehnology, proceed.

Solution...(at least on my system)

1. The next thing you have to do is go into the BIOS.  If you have not done this before, proceed at your own risk. 

You need to restart the computer and enter the BIOS (for me I hit F10 at the HP screen)

2. Within the BIOS, there is an 'Advanced Options' section

3. In this section there is a line for 'Intel Virtualization Tehnology' and it will say enabled or disabled.  My computer said disabled.

4. If this is the case, change the option to 'ENABLED'; then SAVE and EXIT from the BIOS.  

The Computer will restart and from that point on Shut Down, Sleep, etc. has worked.  WOW this was a frustrating issue. Almost went back to Windos 8.  I take no credit for this solution, I pieced it together from other posts on this issue.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Same problem with HP Pavilion 15. Updated drivers, updated BIOS, started in Safe Mode and tried all of the suggestions above. Some work for short period of time and then the problem comes back. Re-installed Windows 8.1, no pint to have problems with Windows 10. HP MUST resolve this issue.

HP Recommended
  1. Go to bios setup (restart>f10)
  2. Choose Advance tab
  3. Choose Intel Virtualization Techology: Enable

Sure 100% it worked. I found this solution after many days on internet.

Good luck to you!

HP Recommended

Well I'd hate to tell you that is a temporary solution and it may not work for all of you. Instead do the following since it works just fine and has been tested and verified by 10+ people:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-to-Resolve-Post-Windows-10-...

Also, we don't need double threads folks (already said that earlier), it just makes it harder for people to follow along. Hence if this solution worked for you, please give it a Kudos so that new readers will see the solution highlighted!

PS: Credits goes to DanG82 who came up with the solution and wrote that post 🙂

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm! I had been borthered ever since I upgraded into Windows 10.

My PC is HP Pavillon 15 (P141ne)

Thanks

HP Recommended

It's me again, only forgot to mention in HP pavilion 15, to enter  Bios you should press ESC, and there is no "advanced setting", you should find find the setting named "VE" to active, something to do with the processor, (inactive by default).

HP Recommended

well all u need to do is upgrade ur bios to latest version if bios version is not available in window 10 then select window 8.1 or window 8 then download the latest bios version for ur notebook/pc . the pc shutting down problem will be solved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.