Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-j000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The OS was just updated from w10 enterprise ver 1569 to w10 enterprise 1709 this morning via Windows update. (I have been running W10 Enterprise successfully since it was released.) The update wiped out windows activation. It cannot activate because it has lost it’s Ethernet connection. MS cannot determine if Creator’s is compatible with my notebook. If it is, I just need a driver. Inputting my model and product into HP support, it says there are no drivers available.  Wait whaaaaattt??? How can there be NO drivers for my computer? Model is Envy 17t-j000 and product number is E4S80AV.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if my NICs (wired and wireless) are compatible with W10E 1709 Creators?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

At this point, I don't know what you are going to be able to do to resolve the issue.

I can tell you that the Centrino 2230 has issues with W10, so the only suggestion I can offer would be to upgrade the wifi card with a more recent model...

Here are the two cards I recommend for you...

If you have or plan to get an AC router...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                HP Part #710661-001

If you only have a dual band wireless N router and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0   HP Part # 717381-001

Either card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe there were any W10 drivers released for the j000 model series, but the good news is that you should be able to use the W10 drivers and software from the 17t-j100 model on yours, except the BIOS and firmware files.

You may want to use the latest W10 ethernet driver directly from Realtek.

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the W10 driver at the link below.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

There is no information online regarding the model wifi adapter your PC came with.

Do you know which model it has?

HP Recommended
Wireless is Intel Centrino-N 2300. Event viewer is showing the most current Realtek and Centrino drivers were installed this morning by Windows Update and both successfully started.

Not sure where to go from here. Perhaps reset TCP stack?
HP Recommended

At this point, I don't know what you are going to be able to do to resolve the issue.

I can tell you that the Centrino 2230 has issues with W10, so the only suggestion I can offer would be to upgrade the wifi card with a more recent model...

Here are the two cards I recommend for you...

If you have or plan to get an AC router...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                HP Part #710661-001

If you only have a dual band wireless N router and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0   HP Part # 717381-001

Either card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

I will try a new wireless and see if that works. Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hello

usually in the businnes notebook you can't install a WLAN card that is not supported by the BIOS. infact when you boot you see a bios error.

I guess this will happens on the consumer products too.

Even more the WLAN card connector to the system is changed in the years, so latest WLAN card (apart the BIOS support issue) probably will not fit in the connector on the motherboard of you older computer

bye

HP Recommended

Hi, @TryToDoMybest

...Except for the fact that HP got rid of the BIOS whitelists when the 17t-j000 came out, and dozens of forum members have upgraded the wireless cards in the 15t-jxxx and 17t-jxxx models.

The two cards I recommended are the same HMC form factor as the Centrino 2230 based on the part numbers.

Your information is correct for most earlier model consumer and business notebooks, but is off the mark regarding this one.

Many posts regarding this information...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Solved-Upgrading-Envy-15-J052NR-wirel...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/AC-wifi-upgrade-for-HP-Envy-15...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-17-j199ez-bios-whiteli...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/upgrade-wifi-HP-ENVY-TOUCHSMAR...

I'll end the list here...its overkill to search for more...

Bye.

HP Recommended
I ordered the N wireless you recommended...it should arrive at the end if the week so I will let you know then if I get reconnected.

Is there anything i can do about the wired connection? Am assuming not because of bios/chipset issue but would love to get that back if possible. Is there such a thing as a USB (external) ethernet card??
HP Recommended

Did you try the realtek ethernet driver I posted?

If so, and the ethernet still doesn't work, try this...

Download and save the Realtek ethernet driver I posted.

Go to the device manager and right click on the Realtek ethernet controller.

Select uninstall, and check the uninstall driver box.

Restart the PC and try the Realtek driver I posted yesterday.

If nothing works, then you can always purchase an external usb to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

I guess as each of these W10 major updates roll out, some PC's fall by the wayside as hardware is no longer supported.

The issues I have encountered thus far, have just been with the audio, but reinstalling the drivers has worked for me thus far.

I have one PC, where I have to reinstall the W7 audio driver and fortunately, that still fixes the audio glitches from the last 2 W10 Creator updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.