Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 eg0067st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm hoping that someone can help me out with a problem I'm having with my brand new Pavilion 15 eg0067st laptop.

The machine came with a 500GB SSD, but I had an unused 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.  So, i replaced the 500GB SSD with the 1TB Samsung SSD and then attempted to install Windows 10 on that SSD.  When I get to the screen where you select the location to which you want to install Windows, it tells me that no drives were found.

So, I booted into BIOS to see if the drive was seen there.  It was.  I then ran diagnostics on it.  All was good.

Thinking it might be related to the manufacturer or model, I found another unused SanDisk Ultra 1TB SSD and installed it.  Same result, BIOS recognizes it; Windows 10 does not.

I'm using the same BIOS settings for these 1TB SSDs as is used for the 500GB SSD which comes with the machine and works.  i've also updated the BIOS and other firmware to the latest and greatest.  Still no luck.

If anyone has run into something similar -- and has figured it out, please drop me a line.

Thanks,

JeffMcG3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to perform an extra step to install W10 on PC's with the Intel 11th gen core processors...

See the info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/35900346/document/c...

The link they direct you to the HP support site doesn't work.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp109000.exe

There is another thing I don't understand in that document, and that is where HP tells you to right click on the Intel driver file and select Extract to

When I ran through the steps, I don't get an Extract to option when I right click on the file.

So, if you have the same issue, download and install the free 7-zip file utility from the link below.

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

Then you can right click on the exe file, select 7-Zip from the menu, and select Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp109000), and copy that folder to your USB flash drive, and continue with the instructions.

If the above driver still doesn't allow Windows to see the drive, see if this version of the IRST storage driver works that I have zipped up and attached below.

This has no F6 folder.

The drivers are visible after you unzip the file and open the folder.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to perform an extra step to install W10 on PC's with the Intel 11th gen core processors...

See the info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/35900346/document/c...

The link they direct you to the HP support site doesn't work.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp109000.exe

There is another thing I don't understand in that document, and that is where HP tells you to right click on the Intel driver file and select Extract to

When I ran through the steps, I don't get an Extract to option when I right click on the file.

So, if you have the same issue, download and install the free 7-zip file utility from the link below.

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

Then you can right click on the exe file, select 7-Zip from the menu, and select Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp109000), and copy that folder to your USB flash drive, and continue with the instructions.

If the above driver still doesn't allow Windows to see the drive, see if this version of the IRST storage driver works that I have zipped up and attached below.

This has no F6 folder.

The drivers are visible after you unzip the file and open the folder.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your replying to my inquiry.

I'm going to give it a try shortly.  But, before i do, I have a question for you.  I get the piece about extracting the driver files to the install USB.  Where I'm a little fuzzy is how to load the drivers.  When I get to the screen where I select the location to which I want to install Windows 10, Do I click the 'Load Driver' link and then browse to the folder on the USB which contains the driver files?

Thanks again,

-Jeff

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jeff.

That is correct.

You click on the Load Driver option, and browse to the location where you saved the storage controller drivers.

If you check the box to only include the compatible driver, that should get Windows to see your SSD.

HP Recommended

Paul,

You're a genius!  I tried the files from the zip file you sent -- and it worked!  I can't thank you enough.  I've been wrestling with this for 3-4 days and was about ready to return the laptop.

Best,

Jeff

HP Recommended

Anytime, Jeff.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.