Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi experts,
My hp came with windows 10 home x64. However, everytime I try to do a clean install of windows with windows 10 pro, it'll just show windows 10 home in system. It doesn't even show the variants of windows 10 to choose from, it just automatically installs windows 10 home. How can I upgrade to windows 10 pro? I'm planning to upgrade then buy the keys later
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As I see it, you have already done a clean installation of W10 and the Pro disk you used is using the W10 Home key in the BIOS, so a W10 Pro product key will 'turn' your current clean Home Installation into a Pro installation.

I am pretty sure that if you need to reinstall W10 or you want to buy the Pro key and clean install W10 Pro, you should be asked to enter a product key or change the Home product key if one is automatically entered in the blanks, with the Pro key you bought.

Do you need W10 Pro?

Not necessarily.  Pro is needed for you to join a domain, vice a workgroup.  Pro allows bitlocker drive encryption, Home does not.

If you don't think you would ever have to use those features on your personal PC, then I wouldn't spend the extra cash.

But here are all the differences compared side by side, below.  You be the judge as to whether or not you should go for Pro.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-uk-difference-3618710/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Windows 10 you are installing is using the Home key in the BIOS.  The installation media is the same.

Looks to me like you will have to change the product key, and enter the W10 Pro product key after you purchase it.

Then the W10 Pro installation will be unlocked.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/upgrade-windows-10-using-easy-upgrade-feature/

HP Recommended
Two questions:
First, is that the only way to upgrade to pro? And in general, sorry for posting this here, is windows pro worth it? I'm a computer science major, is it a must for me?
Two, after purchasing the product key and changing the product key, can i do a clean install of windows 10 pro after that? Or it'll just install windows 10 home automatically again?
Thank you
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As I see it, you have already done a clean installation of W10 and the Pro disk you used is using the W10 Home key in the BIOS, so a W10 Pro product key will 'turn' your current clean Home Installation into a Pro installation.

I am pretty sure that if you need to reinstall W10 or you want to buy the Pro key and clean install W10 Pro, you should be asked to enter a product key or change the Home product key if one is automatically entered in the blanks, with the Pro key you bought.

Do you need W10 Pro?

Not necessarily.  Pro is needed for you to join a domain, vice a workgroup.  Pro allows bitlocker drive encryption, Home does not.

If you don't think you would ever have to use those features on your personal PC, then I wouldn't spend the extra cash.

But here are all the differences compared side by side, below.  You be the judge as to whether or not you should go for Pro.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-windows-10-pro-uk-difference-3618710/

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for the reply! You've been quite a help
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.