Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1188sa
Other

I have this HP Pavilion g6-1188sa laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 back when the free upgrade was still availble, but now I want to downgrade back to Windows 7 for a certain program that doesn't run on Windows 10. Can I downgrade back to Windows 7? Would the Product Key work? By the way, the built-in system recovery doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @gizmowoof18 

You should be able to use your W7 Home OEM product key to activate this Retail W7 Home Premium ISO file from the link below.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

You can find the download toward the bottom of the page for 64 bit.

Not sure if you can change the language to English, International or if you will be stuck with the US English version.

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion g6-1188sa Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@gizmowoof18 

There's nothing legally stopping you, since MS reused your Win7 product key for the Win10 upgrade, their only restriction is that you can not use BOTH Win7 and Win10 with the same key.

Problem is, there is no way to downgrade internally since the in-place Upgrade trashes the recovery information.

Also, HP has not carried Win7 recovery media for some time now, so there's nothing you can get from HP to reinstall Win7.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @gizmowoof18 

You should be able to use your W7 Home OEM product key to activate this Retail W7 Home Premium ISO file from the link below.

Windows 7 Home Premium Free Download ISO 32 Bit 64 Bit (getintopc.com)

You can find the download toward the bottom of the page for 64 bit.

Not sure if you can change the language to English, International or if you will be stuck with the US English version.

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

After W7 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Pavilion g6-1188sa Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

HP Recommended

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I have a related question if I could please add it to this thread..

I have had to replace the HDD on my Elitebook 840 G3. I need to re- install Windows 7 to run legacy software.

When I try to install Windows 7 from my HP media, I get a message saying

“A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. “

I am using an external DVD drive plugged into a USB port

My research is suggesting that this is a problem with the Windows 7 media not having USB 3 support.

Would that be right?

How do I get around this please?

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikenen

There is only one problem:

Windows won't activate and the phone activation window wont show up. I have installed all of the drivers and entered the product key. Should I wait 3 days because it says it will do automatic activation then?

WIN_20210321_11_16_31_Pro.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

On the Windows 7 activation, sorry that didn't work.   I'm very surprised it didn't.

I don't think W7 is going to automatically activate after 3 days, so you wait and see and then if it doesn't, you will need to reinstall W10.

When you reinstall W10, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option and W10 should install and automatically activate.

Regarding the 840 G3...you need to use the gigabyte tool to insert the required USB 3 drivers into your W7 installation media.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip

Watch this video for how to use the tool...

GIGABYTE 100 Series - Windows 7 USB Installation Tool - YouTube

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen

Hi,

Success! I have managed to activate Windows 7 through the phone. I managed to get Windows to show the phone activation window by opening the program directly. I now have Windows 7 fully activated using the product key on the bottom of the laptop. Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.