Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 inch Flat Panel Monitors
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook product number N5Y58UA#ABL.

I am presently using Windows 10 1607 and everything seems to work.  Every day I get a notice that the system can't install the update to Windows 10 1709.

Yesterday and today I received a message that I need to upgrade to Windows 10 1709 to install new security features.  Then the update just starts and runs for two hours.  I believe it is the Windows 10 Update Assistant.  The app will download and get to 82% installed and then I get the error code 0xc1900208.

After going online and reading some of the Microsoft forums, I believe there is an issue with the Hewlett Packard BIOS that is not compatible with Windows 10 1709.  Apparently Hewlett Packard and Microsoft have chosen not to work together to fix the issue.

I just want to use my laptop every day without having to wait two hours for this forced update to attempt and fail.  At this point I don't care if I ever upgrade to Windows 10 1709.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Last night I found instructions in Hewlett-Packard Support Assistant to upgrade my BIOS.  Rather than remove my existing BIOS, I thought it better to try to install the updated Bios.  After running the BIOS update, I started the Microsoft Windows 10 Update Assistant.  It took several hours, but I now have Windows 10 1709.  I am still learning the new features, but it seems to run properly.  Thank you very much for your help.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

If it was me, I would do a clean install of Windows 10 1709.

But this means you would need to back up your data files such as photographs etc.

You will need to re-install Office and other such programs.

You may need to install Windows 10 drivers for your chipset, video, wifi, etc.

HP Recommended

I ran an HP diagnostic for Windows 10 upgrades and it repaired some files. The diagnostic doesn't tell me which files. Then I hit try again on the update and it went through to the part where Windows 10 set up checks my computer. Now I have a message that I need to manually uninstall the BIOS because it isn't compatible with Windows 10. Before I do that I need to know if my computer will still run with the BIOS app uninstalled. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Have you tried running this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

I also would do a clean install as was already suggested.  Also find your machine on this list:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

It says when HP is releasing a BIOS update for your machine.

HP Recommended

Last night I found instructions in Hewlett-Packard Support Assistant to upgrade my BIOS.  Rather than remove my existing BIOS, I thought it better to try to install the updated Bios.  After running the BIOS update, I started the Microsoft Windows 10 Update Assistant.  It took several hours, but I now have Windows 10 1709.  I am still learning the new features, but it seems to run properly.  Thank you very much for your help.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 update error Oxc1900208

HP Recommended

koolman do not resurrect old threads.  If the discussion here is not helpful then any assistance absolutely should not be appended to this thread.  Start a new one, please.

HP Recommended

Where did you find the update?. I cannot locate any area that shows a bios update for my laptop. Can you give me some sort of a link? 

HP Recommended

Where did you find the update? I cannot locate any area that shows a bios update for my laptop. Can you give me some sort of a link? 

HP Recommended

@LazyBoneswrote:

Where did you find the update? I cannot locate any area that shows a bios update for my laptop. Can you give me some sort of a link? 

It is considered a "driver".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.