cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
15 9 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Windows 2004 - worth the trouble? Force install?

HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4105
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop will be 5 years old in December. I always keep it updated, but Windows 2004 was not made available to me until late July. I updated immediately and ran into problems the next day. They were minor, but I decided to roll back to 1909 and wait until the kinks were ironed out before attempting to upgrade again.

Since that time, I have not been offered version 2004 again. I’m aware of a number of issues but as best I can tell, my laptop isn’t affected by them. My laptop is not on the list of HP-tested products for 2004. I am not aware that I'm affected by anything documented on the Windows 2004 issues page. (One open issue seems to be Conexant audio drivers...which I have, but not these versions.) My Intel graphics driver is v27.20.100.8783 with a date of 09/27/20.

This page suggests I can force install it via the Windows 10 Update Assistant. Naturally, I'm hesitant to break anything. Is it worth the trouble? I don’t want to fall too far behind with 20H2 right around the corner.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,138 26,071 2,389 5,670
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Trice 

Excellent question -- as way too many folks charge right into this update without any concern for the risks involved.

First thing I would suggest is reading this to see if you even NEED the update:  

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/05/27/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-may-2020-update/

Second, you are right that 20H2 is just around the corner -- but understand it will be, like 19.09, only a minor feature update that will be installed with an enablement patch, so you will still be doing 20;04, like it or not.

Third, I would strongly suggest you read the info below about doing an image backup using MR prior to doing the next update -- as that will then give you something to restore FROM if you run into problems: 

------------------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
15 9 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I thought I'd follow up...I decided to go ahead with Windows 2004, but as I was about to do so, 20H2 came out. I stopped to do some reading and just decided to move forward with the latest. So far it's running smoothly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,138 26,071 2,389 5,670
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Trice 

I'm glad that worked for you -- as 20H2 is really only a bunch of minor feature updates to 20.04.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation