Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

I've got a new (currently unprovisioned) HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC that I would very much like to drop Windows 7 (64-bit) Enterprise onto.  But, while trying to setup the OS via either a DVD-ROM drive or a USB drive, I get the following message from Windows Setup after clicking "Install Now":

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

If one of your awesome technicians could direct me to where that driver is and how to install it, I would be much appreciative. 

Thanks,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Nick;

The problem with your notebook is the Skylake chipset, and the lack of USB3 drivers in your windows installation media.

The Skylake chipset does not have USB2 support until after you install the chipset driver.

The solution for your dilemma is to run this tool on a PC with W8.1 or W10.

There is a readme instruction link (found under the release notes section), which will provide you with the information you need to get W7 to install on your PC.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This usually works:

https://youtu.be/2OqgLVQpn_o

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Hi, Nick;

The problem with your notebook is the Skylake chipset, and the lack of USB3 drivers in your windows installation media.

The Skylake chipset does not have USB2 support until after you install the chipset driver.

The solution for your dilemma is to run this tool on a PC with W8.1 or W10.

There is a readme instruction link (found under the release notes section), which will provide you with the information you need to get W7 to install on your PC.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

HP Recommended

Thank you, Paul!  I'll give this a try and gat back with my success/failure.

Nick

HP Recommended

That worked like a charm, thank you!

Nick

HP Recommended

My only other question is: Will the Win 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility work for both 32 and 64-bit OS?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Nick.

I explored the driver folder, and there are 32 bit USB drivers included.

What I don't know is if the installer creator application will run on 32 bit or not, so you will just have to try it and see.

You can also try putting your W7 32 bit installation media in a 64 bit machine and run the tool.

You may not be able to find a PC with W10 or W8.1 32 bit installed on it very common.  Most of them come with 64 bit operating systems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.